Sticky Jacobs chuck

I agree that the proper thing to do is disassemble, clean and re-lube. But, I just picked up a 14N super that was a little sticky and I squirted in some CRC lube and worked it open and closed. It works so well now that I don't think I'll be taking it apart, for now anyways.

YMMV,
Ted
I'm glad you got it working with CRC lube, I thought before taking the chuck apart I should try to spray it myself first , I don't even have a hydraulic press or anything similar to do the job right.
The chuck is in mint condition for it's age and I can easily live with it the way it is, that is until I get board ,lol.
Great post.

I scored two 11n in an auction, grubby would be an understatement.
I soak 'em in diesel for a week, then oil for a couple of days, and they turned out good to go.
But then maybe they were just sitting gathering dust they're whole lives, who knows.
However, before you go to the trouble of dis-assembly, it's worth a try.

Reactions: Z2V
Did you manage to get rid of the stickiness in your Jacobs chuck? I just got a used 14n super chuck and it's binding the last few turns to fully open, I'm thinking of taking it apart and clean and lube it. is that what you ended up doing ?

No I have not. Bought a 20T shop press and then tried to cut my finger off in the kitchen and did not succeed. Press is still laying in pieces on basement floor but I plan on assembling it over the next week unless I try to mame myself again. By the way, the hf 20T press has steel arbor plates. They used to be cast iron.

I actually don't think I'll be using this chuck too much because I love my Albrechts! But, if I need a keyed chuck, this will probably be my go to. If this was my primary use chuck I think I would disassemble, clean and re-lube.
Albrecht chucks are very good, but so are Jacobs super chucks, especially the older ones. It is nice to have both, in every size and shank style... :eek 2:

Albrecht chucks are very good, but so are Jacobs super chucks, especially the older ones. It is nice to have both, in every size and shank style... :eek 2:

I still have and use my many Wohlstrum chucks from years ago . Can't beat 'em for smaller work .

Last edited:
I still have and use my many Wohlstrum chucks from years ago . Can't beat 'em for smaller work .
I know nothing about Wohlstrum chucks, Dave. Perhaps Wahlstrom? Float-lock? Please tell us about them.

For smaller work I have 2 Jacobs "Hartford" 8-1/2N, 0-1/4" chucks, and for really small work an Albrecht 30-J0, 0-1/8" (0-3mm) chuck with sensitive drill feed. I also have several "no name" simple precision screw chucks for drills under .060" perhaps and down to zero. I almost never do that small of work anymore.

Wohlstrum or Wahlstrom . :grin: Lets you change cutters while spindle stays running . Just give a slight pull down and the jaws release , a slight pull up locks them .

Reactions: Z2V
No I have not. Bought a 20T shop press and then tried to cut my finger off in the kitchen and did not succeed. Press is still laying in pieces on basement floor but I plan on assembling it over the next week unless I try to mame myself again. By the way, the hf 20T press has steel arbor plates. They used to be cast iron.
Thank you for responding Doc, the issue I had with my sticky chuck was resolved, all it took was a 24 hour bath in Kerosene ,then a generous blast of spray lubricant and the chuck is silky smooth now.

The nex option on my mind was to take it appart and clean it properly but since I do not own any type of press I went with option B and it worked out fine.
Take care of your fingers and hope you heal soon.

Albrecht 30-J0, 0-1/8" (0-3mm) chuck with sensitive drill feed.
That chuck sounds interesting Bob, I doubt it will be used often in a my shop but on a few occasions I wished I had a chuck with that" sensitive drill feed" capability.

That chuck sounds interesting Bob, I doubt it will be used often in a my shop but on a few occasions I wished I had a chuck with that" sensitive drill feed" capability.
They are out there, just need to buy it from somebody who doesn't know what they are worth... ;)
Edit: The sensitive feed and the chuck are normally two separate parts.

Back