Still Confused with Conventional and Climb Milling

oskar

Registered
Registered
Are the rules for conventional or climb milling the same when you work on a LATH or a MILL?

If the answer is yes, then the posts below are not correct unless I misunderstand something which is quite possible due to lack of experience.

The first link below (posts #8 and 10) which refers to LATHE work says the push the stock against the cutter for conventional milling and the second link below (post #15) which refers to MILL work says to pull the stock against the cutter for conventional milling.

After reading many documents my understanding is for conventional milling, which I prefer, is to push the stock against the cutter (cutter turns clockwise) but now I wonder if this is true.

Nicolas

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/are-any-rules-how-to-feed-lock-axes.69149/#post-579034

Posts #8 and 10 says “Note that by my method, you'll be cutting "conventional" while moving the part away from you and "climb" cutting while moving the part toward you. Pay attention to the way those cuts are acting and adjust your depth of cut accordingly. Climb cutting is more risky depending on machine stiffness, condition and the particular set up.

Climb cutting can pull the part into the cut, often because of backlash clearance in the lead screw, with undesirable results. Leaving a little drag (lock) on the travel might help. You just have to get to know your equipment and process”.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/confused-with-headstock-rpm-settings.72942/

Post #15 says “First pass was climb milling, second pass was conventional”

Generally speaking climb milling is not a good idea especially on smaller lighter machines such as used by hobbyists.

Climb milling has a tendency to draw the work into the cutter, with subsequent damage to work and machine.

Conventional milling has the tendency to push the work away from the cutter, and will not damage either the work or the machine.

Conventional milling should always be used for all heavy cuts, like roughing work, It will allow rapid removal of material, without damage to machine or workpiece, but result in a slightly rougher surface finish.

The case for climb milling is made for an improved surface finish, but should be reserved for light finishing cuts only. I have seen too many good machines wrecked by climb milling.

Climb milling gives off a better finish, so only use it to clean up and size your slot after it's been cut, if you're using an end mill. If using a circular cutter, it's not a good idea to climb mill. I've never had any luck doing it.

Thanks to all for the help however I know in theory the difference between conventional and climb milling but my problem is how to apply the principles of these two techniques when I actually do work on a lathe or mill.

As I mentioned in my post, in conventional milling you feed the stock against the cutter and you do this regardless if you work on a lathe or mill

Nicolas

Back