Still Confused with Conventional and Climb Milling

First picture if table moves to right that’s conventional. Second pic if table moved left it would be climbing.

My chuck rotates clockwise
Facing the front of the chuck, it turns counterclockwise in forward and clockwise in reverse.

My manual milling machine has a very nice Italian made X-Y table which has very little backlash and doesn't cause problems when climb milling.
On a capable manual machine climb milling reduces the effort required to feed the cutter through the work as the cutter does some of the work.

First picture if table moves to right that’s conventional. Second pic if table moved left it would be climbing.

You are a "real" Cadillac mate, answers my question the best.

BTW my mill spindle turns clockwise when I look at it from the top of the mill and my lathe spindle also turns clockwise when I look at it from the front. I hope this does not change what you said about conventional milling.

When you say cutting with the bottom of cutter or top of cutter do you mean the bottom is the end (tip) of the cutter and the top of the cutter is where the flutes are?

Nicolas

Shouldn't the lathe be turning counter clockwise when looking at it from the tailstock normally?

I don't believe that the terms climb and conventional apply to a lathe. The cutter on a lathe is stationary so the only way to feed is to rotate the worki into the cutting edge. Rotating in the opposite direction would create a drag situation.

Thinking about it the closest thing I can think of with lathe work would be having your cutter above or below center height. Above center height, assuming the first doesn't rub, if the machine isn't rigid, the ford of the machine would force the cutter depth deeper resulting in problems. This would be a bit like climb milling.
Below or on centre height flex in the machine would cause the cutter to be moved out of the cut so this would be a bit like convectional milling.

I know it is not the same just closest I could come.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Not sure which is the right way for conventional milling in the attached pictures which one is for conventional milling?

I would say picture2 is conventional milling (stock pushed against the cutter)
Nicolas

Both, the DIRECTION of spindle rotation determines climb or conventional, does your mill spindle not rotate in both directions (-:

Both, the DIRECTION of spindle rotation determines climb or conventional, does your mill spindle not rotate in both directions (-:
My mill spindle does reverse direction of rotation, but I'm having a devil of a time getting my end mills to cut in reverse. ;)

Tom

Back