Still more Fusion-360 frustration........

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Over the last couple days I have been trying to figure out how to produce a simple foot for an old ammo box. These boxes are about 12"x12"x28". I have some unused space under my welding bench. I just want to add some plastic feet to i) get the steel boxes up off the concrete, and ii) make them easier to slide in/out like drawers.

In Fusion-360 all I want to do is to create a solid sphere (say 1.5" dia) then cut it off at about 0.5" in from the edge.
I can draw the sphere, I can make an offset plane, I can draw a big rectangle on that plane that I 'd like to cut the sphere off at, then I'm stuck.
The "trim" command doesn't work, I cannot select the big piece of the sphere I want to cut off.
An internet search on "Fusion 360 trim sphere" (and a few other searches) didn't find anything useful in the first few pages.

I got the 3-D printer, but still cannot use it!!!!
(except........for printing models that someone else drew.)

When it comes to trying to make my own the experience is always the same.
1) I get an idea for a part that should work great in plastic.
2) I watch a bunch of Fusion-360 tutorial videos that show many of the tools I need to draw the part.
3) I attempt to draw it. It goes BAD! I always run up against something that's just different enough from the videos that I cannot move forward. I restart the drawing several times trying new/different ways.
4) I give up in frustration.

In this case, I might just fall back on making some flat discs out of an old cutting board using a hole saw.
In fact if I had gone that route it would be done by now (and without all the swearing)!!!!!

-brino

1517065931626.png

Last edited:
There's a couple ways to do this but simplest would be to start a sketch on that new plane, create a rectangle larger than the sphere cross section and push/pull it "up" relative to that pic. Make sure that "cut" is selected instead of join (rectangle should turn red) and it will remove everything that the rectangle intersects. Done!

@MikeWi

When you say it it seems obvious!
(but thanks for saying it)

My rectangle was already bigger than the sphere diameter.
I guess it was watching the videos that made me think the "trim" command was what I wanted. Then it was a mental block to try to figure out why "trim" works in some contexts, but not others. I still do NOT understand that, but you got me past it.

Thanks!
-brino

Mike is all over it. Use the Create drop down and select extrude. Make sure cut is selected in the dialog box.
I believe trim is a 2D command. For 3D objects you need Boolean operations like Extrude and Join.
Robert

I believe trim is a 2D command. For 3D objects you need Boolean operations like Extrude and Join.

I wish the application had two menus; one with 2D commands and one with 3D commands.
Everything seems so non-intuitive.

Sure I am a beginner, but I have taken more than several attempts at it, and I just cannot get along with Fusion.
Perhaps there are better tools for the "occasional user" who will never remember from one session to the next which magic buttons apply in which context.

-brino

Don't worry. I felt the same way when I started. It will become more obvious as you use it.
In general, the commands under Sketch are 2D and the rest are 3D.
R

Another way to do this is draw a circle. Extrude the circle. Use rule fillet command to round off the bottom and then you have a flat top because the cylinder is already flat. You could do a rule fillet to the top too in order to ease the edges. Just another way to get where you want to go...

I wish the application had two menus; one with 2D commands and one with 3D commands.
Everything seems so non-intuitive.
-brino
It does when you get right down to it. Anything in the Sketch pull-down is 2D. The Create and Modify pull-down menus are for 3D.

Trim doesn't work because it is only for working on sketches (2D) AND because you hadn't drawn anything on that new plane. It's an empty slate. Correction, I forgot you had drawn a rectangle (which why I suggested to push/pull or extrude it). You could use trim to cut away any side of that rectangle, but that's it. because it's the only thing that exists in that sketch.

I'm always up for a challenge and another learning exercise.

Here's how you can do this in SolveSpace:

1: Draw an outline of a section of the desired part. Here I did an arc starting at the y-origin and ending at the x-origin, then connected the ends of the arc through 0,0,0. (This was a total of 6 mouse clicks) Note that I rotated the part so the 'flat' part is at the bottom so it's easier for the 3D printer.
Elevation_1.jpg

2: Select the X-Axis as the 'center point' then press the "Lathe" control and the section drawn is rotated and extruded around the selected center point. (Three more clicks)

Voila!
3D_View.jpg

And you probably need some way to attach it - so five more clicks and we have a countersunk through-hole :)

WithMountingHole.jpg

Stu
(The more I play with SolveSpace the better I like it)

@gr8legs That works in Fusion 360 too, and I'll go you a step farther! Draw that countersink in the original sketch. Now when you revolve it, everything is already there!

Back