Still more Fusion-360 frustration........

I ordered a text book off amazon titled Autodesk Fusion 360 Introduction to Parametric which includes links to videos on the software as you work through the lessons. I had tried various videos on you tube but always hit an area that was confusing, this seems much better to me and now i have a reference book to fall back on == Jack

There are some things that seem to defy reason and to be arbitrary. I have read 10 articles on the difference between Bodies and Components and I still don't understand it. I get that you can only make joints between Components but that doesn't explain why? Why couldn't they allow a joint between to Bodies if the shapes are exactly the same? What magic occurs when you make one mouse click to convert a Body to a Component?
Robert

There are some things that seem to defy reason and to be arbitrary. I have read 10 articles on the difference between Bodies and Components and I still don't understand it. I get that you can only make joints between Components but that doesn't explain why? Why couldn't they allow a joint between to Bodies if the shapes are exactly the same? What magic occurs when you make one mouse click to convert a Body to a Component?
Robert
The way I understand it is that bodies are just 3D rendered objects on your screen that can be edited, cut, joined etc. to get where you're going. Components are real "parts" that you'll actually be manufacturing and possibly using again in other designs. That component can be made up of several bodies that have been joined. Clear as mud?

Let's see if this helps: This is a drawing I'm working on now. I have just one assembly visible right now that is made up of 3 components, The Tower, Idler Arm, and Idler Arm Gusset. You'll see I've named every body and sketch in the assembly. This lets me know exactly where to find something instead of trying to remember sketch 10 or body 3. In addition, when I mouse over the timeline, each of those icons will have a little pop-up telling me the name of the item, and the name of the assembly it belongs to. Great for when you have to go back and make changes (and I've made plenty today). So, each component contains the sketches that were used to create it, and the bodies that were created from them.
I think I have to attach the file in order for you to be able to enlarge it enough to read.
ComponentsAndBodies.PNG

ComponentsAndBodies.PNG

OK. Here's one. When you are under the MODEL toolbar you can't see the SCULPT toolbar to select it( you have to click on create form.) But when you are under the SCULPT toolbar you can see the MODEL toolbar. That's a screw up.
BTW- I am not trying to bash this program in any way. It is an awesome and powerful tool.
Robert

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, commiserating and comments.
I perservered, and thought I should give a conclusion.

I picked up three old military boxes:
boxes1.jpg

boxes2.jpg

That I want to use under my welding bench. But I wanted some plastic feet to raise them off the bare concrete.
Sure they are not pretty, but it's kinda rough stuff I need to store.

Here's the feet being printed:
printing1.jpg

printing2.jpg

printing3.jpg

The blue layer is masking tape that I have found works well as a "release" to allow removing the parts from the bed easier.
Here's one batch of finished feet:
done.jpg

I went with a 0.200 thru hole. I know they print slightly smaller than spec'ed.
I had set the printer shell thickness up from 1mm to 1.5mm so I had room to drill and tap the holes.
I wanted to use short 1/4"-20 bolts from the inside of the boxes like this:
bolt.jpg

Here they are with feet installed:
feet_installed.jpg

Here is the first box with a metal bender that drops into a 2" square receiver welded to the bench:
box1.jpg

Here is the second box with a different kind of bender
box2.jpg
(yes that is an old brake rotor brazed to a 2" square tube for mounting)

And here is the third box with rods keepers, some cables and cylinder caps:
box3.jpg

Here they are in place under the bench:
in_place.jpg

You can see by the condition of the concrete that it has been spalled by water freezing.
When I moved in I replaced the seal at the bottom of the door.
However occasionally I still get a little moisture there from strong winds blowing the rain from that side.
Although it is now kept above freezing.

Thanks again for the help and comments!
-brino

That's looks like success to me!
Perseverance overcomes frustration!

Hey, those look pretty neat. Good job

I've been using Fusion 360 for about a year now for both my CNC mill and manual lathe. At first I was just making drawings but now I use it almost exclusively for both CAD and CAM. It isn't perfect, but once you find your way around it sure beats the programs ($2,000+ worth) I was using.

Back