Still one of my favorite machines

Very cool! What is the stroke on your machine? Where do you find blades?

Craig
(One came up for auction locally this week but went for FAR more than I would have guessed.)

I have one like the one in the video. It's missing the cast iron weights and part of the vise, and I had to make a new connecting rod, but it's as fascinating as a shaper. You can't help but watch it.

I like the lifting mechanism. Cuts on the pull stroke, lifts on the push. That keeps it from damaging the teeth.

how does the lifting mechanism work?
I saw one that used a cam but I couldnt work out how that coped with the gradual lowering of the blade as it cut

I have one of these which I love. The flywheel has two arms, one makes the blade reciprocate and the other moves two ratcheting arms which are individually adjustable that lift the blade at the end of stroke. Hard to describe.

It's a little fiddly on mine due to some wear in the mechanisms, causing slop.

I just got one of those. I don't have it in hand yet, but should have it this time next week. Mine's missing the movable vise jaw / clamp, so i've got a bit of work to do on it. Really looking forward to pulling it apart and going through it - then putting it to use. Nice little machine.

Some people use standard 12" hack saw blades. They will mount in the saw, but maybe a bit fragile. McMaster Carr sells new Starrett brand blades for this saw, which are thicker and a bit taller than regular hack saw blades. I've also seen blades on ebay, though they tend to be pricey. Apparently a good blade will last a very long time.

Thanks for posting that.

paulh

The second arm operates a pair of pawls which work against grooved plates on the swing arm (motorcycle term). The grooves are about 1/16" apart. The pawls don't contact the grooves on the cutting stroke, but are pushed forward on the reverse stroke, lifting the swing arm. As the blade descends through the work, the pawls contact grooves higher up the rack.

Apparently a good blade will last a very long time.

I just replaced an Eclipse 12" power hacksaw blade in my Wellsaw. Its well over ten years old!

What is the attraction to these saws? Serious question. A band saw is much faster and is pretty accurate when adjusted well. Is it mostly the novelty of an old school machine?

Back