Still one of my favorite machines

For me the attraction is a few things, small size, and just the novelty of old iron still working well & there’s something about slider-crank mechanism or rotary motion into linear motion that I like, just slow and steady motion keeps on working. I always wanted a shaper too and recently got a SB 7” shaper which I really have no use for but I’ll put a piece of stock in it and square it up just for practice.

this saw was too cheap to pass up when I bought it and it works well, I would rather not have a HF 4x6 and don’t have room for much larger, though I like to have an Ellis bandsaw.

I can definitely see the attraction and novelty of old school devices. I want a shaper, too, but I guess I never saw the sense in a powered hacksaw when compared to the speed and accuracy of a modern H/V band saw. I cannot deny the novelty and cool factor of these machines though so I can understand why you really like it. Thank you for your response, Sir.

I agree with burtonbr points above, small size, gizmosity, the sound. Speed is not the essence for me, and actually I let it cut while I'm doing something else in the shop. I found it more accurate than the bandsaw I had- which was no great shakes admittedly-that means I have less squaring up to do. For me it's just likeable, not really the most productive choice maybe. My pace in the shop right now is pretty slow.

Tim

gizmosity

Great word!

I don't know why but I still like hearing this little saw running in the background while I'm working on projects...

Oh I know why....it's because subliminally you're just so grateful that it's not your elbow doing that hack-sawing.
The elbow IS connected to the ear bone!

-brino

I'd love a bandsaw, but good metal cutting vertical machines are really hard to come by inexpensively.. A horizontal just does what the PH does a bit faster. The power hacksaw is slow but reliable and I'd hate to give up the old iron. I tend to set it chopping and go do something else, so speed isn't the biggest factor. If I didn't have it, I'd likely be looking for a horizontal bandsaw not a power hacksaw, though.

..there’s something about slider-crank mechanism or rotary motion into linear motion that I like, just slow and steady motion keeps on working.
Some of us enjoy the enjoyment of the journey.

What is the attraction to these saws? Serious question. A band saw is much faster and is pretty accurate when adjusted well. Is it mostly the novelty of an old school machine?

Actually that isn't necessarily true, here is a head to head between a HF 4x6 bandsaw and a similar sized Marvel hacksaw.

If you don't want to watch the whole 26 minute video the punchline is the Marvel cut the material in 1:42, the bandsaw 2:17.

That Marval saw is bigger than the OPs Craftsman, but I think it is a fair comparison to the HF bandsaw as they take up a similar amount of space.

I have an Excel hacksaw which is the same as the Craftsman saw, and on its stand it is only about 2/3 the size of the HF bandsaw, so yes it is slower, but if space is at a premium it is even more compact than the small HF saw.

Last edited:
Actually that isn't necessarily true, here is a head to head between a HF 4x6 bandsaw and a similar sized Marvel hacksaw.

If you don't want to watch the whole 26 minute video the punchline is the Marvel cut the material in 1:42, the bandsaw 2:17.

That Marval saw is bigger than the OPs Craftsman, but I think it is a fair comparison to the HF bandsaw as they take up a similar amount of space.

There are all sorts of variables in this comparison that can impact on the results. He says he used a new blade, 10 tpi, but did not hear him mention what kind of blade it is. If it was carbon steel from HF then it won't cut spaghetti. He did use a Starrett blade on the Marvel, which I have to admit did pretty well.

I think much depends on the blade in use. I have a Lenox high tension hacksaw that cut through a 1" Tru-Cut mower rear axle in 8 Mike-powered strokes using a Lenox bi-metal blade so I know a good hacksaw blade can perform wonders. On the other hand, I would still much rather use my Lenox bi-metal blades on my Jet H/V band saw and let it do the work.

I will reserve judgement on these powered hacksaws though, so thanks for that. I think they're pretty cool machines. I want a shaper, though!

In the comments somebody asked about the bandsaw blade, and he replied that it was a bi-metal blade, but no brand given.

Lots of ways to compare things too, space matters to me so I look at size first, and those two take up a similar space. I think that that Marvel saw is a #2 which would mean it can cut 8x8" so it is a "bigger" saw in capacity than the HF 4x6. The Craftsman saws are 4x4" so perhaps a more "fair" comparison from a capacity stand point, although the Craftsman takes up less room in the shop.

I have a HF 4x6 myself and think they are a fine saw for the money, one of the most used tools in my shop. The little Excel saw I got recently does have more character though. :)

Here is my little off brand 4.5" being stretched to the limit. I have a larger horizontal saw, but it's buried behind a pile of stuff in the new shop, and I needed a chunk of this 7" pipe. Had to rotate it twice and remove a guard, but it got her done. Mike
IMG_20200629_181953677.jpgIMG_20200629_184242123.jpg

Back