Stock stand made from PVC tube

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm thinking about making a stock stand from PVC tube for storing various lengths and sizes of stock.
The tube would be 4in PVC oriented vertically with progressive length tubes.
I've done some searching for practical ideas on how to lash it all together and keep the tube from falling over and the stock from "sneaking" out the bottom.
Any ideas or links?

I use PVC tube for storing small diameter rod and tubing. In my case, I have just one tube and it sits in a bucket and leans against a wall. For multiple tubes, I would use PVC cement on the contact points and strap clamps to bind it until the cement set. Once set, I would bind the assembly with a large wire tie, a wire wrap , or even several wraps of nylon cord. Seven tubes makes a nice stable cofioguratio while still allowing access to each tube. An issue is how to cap the ends. Ther off the shelf caps won't allow close stacking. Some plywood disks could be turned and fastened in the ends. For more stability, a larger plywood disk could be screwed and/or glued to the insert disks.

I stuck them in a bucket. Three inch pipe fit almost perfectly, just had to put a little bevel on the bottom. Wrapped the bundle in some tape maybe eight inches up to hold it together. 34933354-E66D-46F5-95CC-D2B65943571D.jpeg

I would make it out of plywood. End caps on the PVC would keep stuff from falling out the bottom. Glue a slip joint to the tubes to support each level of plywood. Something like this.

material stand.jpg

Instead of a square configuration you could make them inline. Whatever fits in your shop.

Or wrap the PVC tubes together with duct tape and use plug caps to keep keep stuff from falling out the bottom. This would not be very stable and might tend to fall over if it isn't fastened to a wall or a cabinet.

Last edited:
A problem with using the normal PVC end caps is that the repeated impact of heavy stock into the bottom cap with eventually shatter the PVC.

Put something in the bottom to cushion the impact. Don't glue them on so they can easily be replaced.

Is it ok to post web links here? I came across a neat idea on a woodworking sight I also read on occasion. They used 4" dia pvc pipe, and it stacks neatly into a hexagon shape bundle. I'd make the base taller, or add a "strap" of sorts to hold it together though. (I'd put a pic here but don't want to break any copyright rules)
Their plans are at: https://www.woodsmith.com/article/cutoff-storage-bin/

You might be able to adapt this rack I built out of 7 progressive lengths of 2" PVC pipe. The pipes are glued with regular clear PVC pipe cement, then bundled together with some extra-long hose clamps. If you're building one out of 4" pipe, you'll probably need to screw two such hose clamps together end-to-end. The pipe bundle is held down to a plywood base with clips made from plumber's strap. Then it's all mounted to an HF dolly for mobility.

kHPIM6500.jpgkHPIM6501.jpg

Back