Stones stones stones

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

Registered
Registered
So many stones so little time.

What are some good stones to have in the tool box. For things such as hitting the high points on cast surfaces,honing tool bits and deburring? There are just so many types.

I won an auction on the big e site. Not sure how well I did. I knew I needed some. So I jumped on it with the blinders fully engaged. I paid $12.50 plus $13.65 shipping for 28 stones. I'll post some pics.

Great score,

If any of them are worn, sprinkle some sand on a concrete floor or paving stone and lap using a figure of eight movement. go careful this removes
the surface very rapidly.
Brian.

Back years ago my grandfather was friends with Hyrum Smith of Smith Whetstone in Hot Springs,Ark. He would buy seconds from them and sell them at craft fairs. I still have several boxes of them sitting around. As a tool maker I found them very usefull. I allways used a piece of glass to lap them on, flattens them and cleans the grim out of the grains.

Great score,

If any of them are worn, sprinkle some sand on a concrete floor or paving stone and lap using a figure of eight movement. go careful this removes
the surface very rapidly.
Brian.

Thanks for the tip.

Back years ago my grandfather was friends with Hyrum Smith of Smith Whetstone in Hot Springs,Ark. He would buy seconds from them and sell them at craft fairs. I still have several boxes of them sitting around. As a tool maker I found them very usefull. I allways used a piece of glass to lap them on, flattens them and cleans the grim out of the grains.

On the glass what are you use as a cutting abrasive?

Years ago while talking to a lady on a beach in Tunisia. she found that one of her finger nails had a crack and needed a file.
So I searched around for a suitable piece of stone and fashioned it on the pathway into a thin stone to do the job. She still has the stone and I still have her.
So be careful what you do with this knowledge.
Brian.

Back