Stoning mill tables, etc.

On a mill table - I suggest there would be any number of other issues that are more significant than what type of stone is used on the surface.
I suggest using PGS stones for mill table care is an example of an overblown concern

Agreed.

Keep the machine clean, properly serviced, don't drop things on the table (or otherwise abuse the machine) and the mill will provide great service for many years.

No doubt the practice originated in shops where you cannot trust the state that the previous user of a table left it in. Stoning before every use is a bit excessive for the home shop, but as I mentioned above it is possible a burr was kicked up when doing, say, a vise change, so it's prudent to stone the table when removing heavy equipment/workpieces. A precision ground stone seems like overkill, but I've come to appreciate that the hardness of the stone may make a big difference: the harder stones are less likely to scuff the mill table during mishap, and are less likely to conform to the shape of a large burr.

I have done several searches for these PGS Stones. I keep getting Professional Gem Sciences. Can someone provide a link to these stones mentioned in this thread?

I believe a common abbreviation is “PFG”, not PGS.
76717BD7-B5BC-4E06-809B-6834DC251F4B.png

Thank you Francist.
I have seen all these videos. They do a great job of pointing out the benefits of PGF stones.

google searches for 'precision ground stones' and 'machinist flat stones' will get you there... they are US$ 160-180 per pair.

google searches for 'precision ground stones' and 'machinist flat stones' will get you there... they are US$ 160-180 per pair.

Yes that I am aware of. Thank you

If you have a buddy with a surface grinder and are OK to not have a 'perfect' Robrenz set, you can grind them pretty easily/cheap. I did 3 sets of the Norton 2 sided stones, plus the diamond wheel from Shars for about the cost of a 'nice' set. I use my set all the time, they were a fun machining project, and I ended up at about 1/2 price.

If I'd had more friends at the time, it would have been even cheaper :)

Back