Storage in the shop

Ill love to see a follow up video to that. I have a medium flat rate box full of spooled sandpapers that i would love to hang on a rod for storage. My question always comes of where can i put it that is a good solid spot. For me i am thinking in my basement ceiling and attach to the rafters. I always worry about screwing into them though and causing damage when its the structure to our floors upstairs. But i think i would have better use of it up there atleast then in a box hard to sort through.
don't attach it to the flooring. Attach it to the joists. No issues there.
screwing to the subfloor may push the floor up.

don't attach it to the flooring. Attach it to the joists. No issues there.
screwing to the subfloor may push the floor up.
I was planning to do the joists. Didnt plan to do the subfloor.

@strantor i could set something up pretty easily prob. Question is where and what to hang them onn. I have some of the metal band strapping also to maybe lower it.

Some holes in the joists to accommodate plumbing and electrical runs is expected. I think they should generally be near the center of the joists vertically. The building code should have some guidance regarding acceptable size, spacing and location.

I wouldn't think twice about attaching them there. We're just talking wood screws right? I mean, that's how the whole house is made; wood screws and nails driven straight into supporting structure. How are the floors attached to the top of the rafters? I wouldn't even be too worried about augering half inch holes through them to slide a bar through. Then it's easy to take down and add/remove spools.

@Brento
The general advice for plumbing/electrical work is that holes drilled through joists should not be in the middle third length wise, and should be drilled in the middle as far as height is concerned. This corresponds to the least stressed areas of a joist.

So i was thinking doing some pipe straps to the bottom of the joist like the 2" side and go over as far as i need and do another strap to put a pole up.

So i was thinking doing some pipe straps to the bottom of the joist like the 2" side and go over as far as i need and do another strap to put a pole up.

When you say "pipe straps" are you talking about perforated metal strips (comes in a roll) or two hole straps?

2 hole strap. I have the metal strips also which i though about using to hang down lower but the 2 hole strap would be best.

I saw a kitchen speed rack free on Craigslist and realized it would do nicely for my small-parts bins. It was bent and needed straightening, and I had to narrow it to fit most of my bins. I left the bottom original width for the couple wider bins I have. It was the most awkward thing I’ve had to weld in a while.

Here it is next to the Rotabin that I use for various hardware (I have another one for fasteners etc.):
9557a6058f489278b50b1ec79f0857ef.jpg

Back