Storage in the shop

Great storage ideas on this video. This guy takes a trip over to another garage, the guy used to be a tool and die maker.

Some great ideas. I want the vac... nice.. remote control....
I have a remote, but its one of those Christmas time remotes... Wish I could mount it on an elbow like that.
really some neat ideas.. long... so you probably want to watch it at 1.5 to 1.75

There are some good ideas in there.

A friend gave me the central vac out of his house and it’s been waiting. I recently mounted it, connected a cyclone separator, and ran a hard tube to my machining section, where I mounted it to the side of a :
72A60646-DDA2-4BF4-BF98-2CEF8A34249D.jpeg
You can just see it tucked in behind the mill:
F033F49D-6AA0-4895-B0EB-BAC3C533670C.jpeg
I have a 20’ flex tube that will reach all the machines and can stay plugged in.
I need to add a gate valve so I can put another outlet or two in the other shop section.

I'm embarrassed to post this but I'm doing it anyway in hopes that publicly shaming myself will spur me to fast-track the timeline on getting my shop storage situation finally in order. I think there is the start of some good ideas here (pallet rack mezzanine, parts boxes, etc) but it just isn't complete.

@strantor

Good for you, posting the video. I hope it achieves it's stated purpose.

Please keep posting your incremental progress. Seeing your progress can be motivational to those of us that need to do the same.

yea, you have a big space, but some organizing and you'll be able to work on multiple projects easily. I'm surprised you don't already have those wires on the rods mounted. Seems like a no-brainer if you are wiring all the time. you have plenty of wall space to mount a whole wall of spools.

I am curious what you come up with. I always like to see how others solve the problems so I can see if any ideas fit my problems. I am sure we all do the same.

Good luck man.

Ill love to see a follow up video to that. I have a medium flat rate box full of spooled sandpapers that i would love to hang on a rod for storage. My question always comes of where can i put it that is a good solid spot. For me i am thinking in my basement ceiling and attach to the rafters. I always worry about screwing into them though and causing damage when its the structure to our floors upstairs. But i think i would have better use of it up there atleast then in a box hard to sort through.

Ill love to see a follow up video to that. I have a medium flat rate box full of spooled sandpapers that i would love to hang on a rod for storage. My question always comes of where can i put it that is a good solid spot. For me i am thinking in my basement ceiling and attach to the rafters. I always worry about screwing into them though and causing damage when its the structure to our floors upstairs. But i think i would have better use of it up there atleast then in a box hard to sort through.
I wouldn't think twice about attaching them there. We're just talking wood screws right? I mean, that's how the whole house is made; wood screws and nails driven straight into supporting structure. How are the floors attached to the top of the rafters? I wouldn't even be too worried about augering half inch holes through them to slide a bar through. Then it's easy to take down and add/remove spools.

Back