[4]

Storing rules?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

pstemari

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
How are you all storing rules in your tool boxes? Most of them come with a plastic sleeve, but the 12" Starrett rules come in a brown paper envelope and it's hard to tell what's in there when it's sitting in a drawer.

Unfortunately, I don't see any cases for 12" rules online.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Alexander McGilton

Registered
I just leave it in the box unprotected aganst a wall or edge, they are hardened for scratch resistance after all. The greater risk is of them being bent if other tool are carelessly placed in the box of which an envelope is useless for.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Wherever they fit. They're pretty tough. Just keep 'em away from shears, press brakes and welding tables.

ELHEAD

Active User
I tend to be a minimalist. I would simply label the envelope with a felt tip pen.
Dave

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Guys,

I just hang my collection on a nail on the wall. They all have a hole in the end for that purpose !

bhigdog

Registered
I throw them in the drawer where they live. .................Bob

RJSakowski

Wherever they fit. They're pretty tough. Just keep 'em away from shears, press brakes and welding tables.
In 22 years of laying out and fabricating sheet metal, I added a couple of those special beveled end rules to my collection. They have a nasty way of walking on a shear bed and it seems never away from the blade.

As to storage, I keep them loose in the top drawer of my tool cart along with the metrology instruments. The heaviest item there is a 1-2-3 block.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
In 22 years of laying out and fabricating sheet metal, I added a couple of those special beveled end rules to my collection. They have a nasty way of walking on a shear bed and it seems never away from the blade.
I have a friend who is a spectacular fabricator/weldor. One day his reflexes failed him and he tripped the shear before retracting his tape measure. He just TIGged it back together and went about his business. I checked it later, it was within a 64th.

pstemari

That's some fancy welding!

No shear here, but I bought those Starrett rules new and I do want to keep the corners from getting beat up.

benmychree

John York
Hi Guys,

I just hang my collection on a nail on the wall. They all have a hole in the end for that purpose !
The only PRECISION rules that I have ever seen are hook rules with the hook removed, I have the long drawer in my Gerstner box filled with mostly rules, and yes, they are tough and hard and are no damaged by a little jostling. The only rules that have left in the paper envelopes are shrink rules, it makes them easier to identify,

stupoty

Active User
How are you all storing rules in your tool boxes? Most of them come with a plastic sleeve, but the 12" Starrett rules come in a brown paper envelope and it's hard to tell what's in there when it's sitting in a drawer.

Unfortunately, I don't see any cases for 12" rules online.

I have a smallish metal toolbox that I have dedicated to measuring tools.

Stu

ThinWoodsman

Registered
Unrelated to the "care and feeding of rules" focus: I picked up one of those $5 magnetic bases with a hook on it from the hardware store, got a 6" steel rule with a hole in it, and have it hanging from the headstock of the lathe. It's always within reach when I am setting up a cutting tool.

I made a wooden cover for the surface place, lined with felt on both sides. I have a 12" rule tacked to the wood frame that holds the felt in place.

The rest, though, the "precision" ones, those are all in a toolbox with measuring tools. Not in sleeves, nothing underneath them, nothing on top of them (except other rules - they nest like snakes). If it starts to get crowded, I'll get another toolbox.

BtoVin83

Registered
Always follow proper rules when storing things---------------- oh wait this is about storing scales not about the rules for storing items. Never mind.

benmychree

John York
Oh. I forgot, my 6" rule resides in the pencil pocket in my bib overalls; I call it the machinist's universal tool; measuring tool, screwdriver, scraper, etc.

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Guys,

At one time overalls/coveralls always had a pocket down the right leg, which is where you kept your two foot, folding ruler. I don't know if they still have one. Not bought any new overalls/coveralls for a very long time and all my old ones were turned into hand wipes years ago.
I still have my two foots though :)

[6]
[5] [7]