Storing rules?

pstemari

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How are you all storing rules in your tool boxes? Most of them come with a plastic sleeve, but the 12" Starrett rules come in a brown paper envelope and it's hard to tell what's in there when it's sitting in a drawer.

Unfortunately, I don't see any cases for 12" rules online.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just leave it in the box unprotected aganst a wall or edge, they are hardened for scratch resistance after all. The greater risk is of them being bent if other tool are carelessly placed in the box of which an envelope is useless for.

I tend to be a minimalist. I would simply label the envelope with a felt tip pen.
Dave

Hi Guys,

I just hang my collection on a nail on the wall. They all have a hole in the end for that purpose !

Wherever they fit. They're pretty tough. Just keep 'em away from shears, press brakes and welding tables.
In 22 years of laying out and fabricating sheet metal, I added a couple of those special beveled end rules to my collection. They have a nasty way of walking on a shear bed and it seems never away from the blade.

As to storage, I keep them loose in the top drawer of my tool cart along with the metrology instruments. The heaviest item there is a 1-2-3 block.

In 22 years of laying out and fabricating sheet metal, I added a couple of those special beveled end rules to my collection. They have a nasty way of walking on a shear bed and it seems never away from the blade.

I have a friend who is a spectacular fabricator/weldor. One day his reflexes failed him and he tripped the shear before retracting his tape measure. He just TIGged it back together and went about his business. I checked it later, it was within a 64th.

That's some fancy welding!

No shear here, but I bought those Starrett rules new and I do want to keep the corners from getting beat up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

I just hang my collection on a nail on the wall. They all have a hole in the end for that purpose !
The only PRECISION rules that I have ever seen are hook rules with the hook removed, I have the long drawer in my Gerstner box filled with mostly rules, and yes, they are tough and hard and are no damaged by a little jostling. The only rules that have left in the paper envelopes are shrink rules, it makes them easier to identify,

Back