Storing rules?

How are you all storing rules in your tool boxes? Most of them come with a plastic sleeve, but the 12" Starrett rules come in a brown paper envelope and it's hard to tell what's in there when it's sitting in a drawer.

Unfortunately, I don't see any cases for 12" rules online.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a smallish metal toolbox that I have dedicated to measuring tools.

Stu

Unrelated to the "care and feeding of rules" focus: I picked up one of those $5 magnetic bases with a hook on it from the hardware store, got a 6" steel rule with a hole in it, and have it hanging from the headstock of the lathe. It's always within reach when I am setting up a cutting tool.

I made a wooden cover for the surface place, lined with felt on both sides. I have a 12" rule tacked to the wood frame that holds the felt in place.

The rest, though, the "precision" ones, those are all in a toolbox with measuring tools. Not in sleeves, nothing underneath them, nothing on top of them (except other rules - they nest like snakes). If it starts to get crowded, I'll get another toolbox.

Always follow proper rules when storing things---------------- oh wait this is about storing scales not about the rules for storing items. Never mind.

Oh. I forgot, my 6" rule resides in the pencil pocket in my bib overalls; I call it the machinist's universal tool; measuring tool, screwdriver, scraper, etc.

Hi Guys,

At one time overalls/coveralls always had a pocket down the right leg, which is where you kept your two foot, folding ruler. I don't know if they still have one. Not bought any new overalls/coveralls for a very long time and all my old ones were turned into hand wipes years ago.
I still have my two foots though :)

Back