Straight shank for keyed chuck

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I'll be getting a keyed chuck with straight shank for my milling machine. What size shank do you recommend? 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 seem to be options for the jt3. I have a full collet set and am getting a keyless chuck with integral r8 shank as well.
Thanks in advance for the help.

It needs to be able to handle the torque of the work you do with the chuck. Beyond that, choose one that will also be the collet of choice for holding your other tooling as well. Changing collets is a major time and effort consumer on the mill. OK, lets think about spotting, drilling, chamfering, and tapping a series of holes. Now think about doing the entire job using just one collet.

Should be larger than the capacity of the chuck. I just go 3/4 and cut them short. Since it's keyed, spotting, drilling, chamfering and tapping can all be done with the chuck.

It needs to be able to handle the torque of the work you do with the chuck. Beyond that, choose one that will also be the collet of choice for holding your other tooling as well. Changing collets is a major time and effort consumer on the mill. OK, lets think about spotting, drilling, chamfering, and tapping a series of holes. Now think about doing the entire job using just one collet.

I mostly do that with a drill chuck. I do not need better accuracy than that as a hobbyist. You are correct, I would find using collets for this a real pain.

I have 4 chucks and my favorite is a ball bearing keyed chuck, 3/4" capacity with a 3/4" straight shank.
You can use end mills if load isnt too great.

2nd favorite is an Albrecht keyless @ 1/2" capacity, comes loose sometimes but is fast to change tools.

Back