Straight shank for keyed chuck

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I'll be getting a keyed chuck with straight shank for my milling machine. What size shank do you recommend? 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 seem to be options for the jt3. I have a full collet set and am getting a keyless chuck with integral r8 shank as well.
Thanks in advance for the help.

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I would get one that matches the end mill diameter you use most often.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
It needs to be able to handle the torque of the work you do with the chuck. Beyond that, choose one that will also be the collet of choice for holding your other tooling as well. Changing collets is a major time and effort consumer on the mill. OK, lets think about spotting, drilling, chamfering, and tapping a series of holes. Now think about doing the entire job using just one collet.

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Should be larger than the capacity of the chuck. I just go 3/4 and cut them short. Since it's keyed, spotting, drilling, chamfering and tapping can all be done with the chuck.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It needs to be able to handle the torque of the work you do with the chuck. Beyond that, choose one that will also be the collet of choice for holding your other tooling as well. Changing collets is a major time and effort consumer on the mill. OK, lets think about spotting, drilling, chamfering, and tapping a series of holes. Now think about doing the entire job using just one collet.
I mostly do that with a drill chuck. I do not need better accuracy than that as a hobbyist. You are correct, I would find using collets for this a real pain.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock