[How do I?] Straighten handles

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
The handles on my carriage and compound are ever so slightly bent toward the centre.
It's enough to be noticeable when turning them. Any idea if they can be brought back to alignment or should I just live with it?

When I was cleaning my machines after my house fire, the Hercus fell forward off the dolly. The crossfeed shaft was broken and the crank handle was bent toward the centre. I repaired the shaft with a shaped splice and managed to bend the crank nearly straight. I'm sure it was worse than yours. If SB used the same materials and heat treating as Hercus (licensed copy), it should work. Worst case - it breaks off and you make a new one. Just move slowly and don't jerk it. If you're really nervous, apply a bit of heat.

Thanks @Hawkeye that's good advice. I hope your Hercus is all recovered!

I would remove the handles, then check the shaft stubs with an indicator, carefully make any runout adjustments with a brass or aluminum drift. The handles themselves, I would straighten on a press, or very carefully with proper supports on a bench, and again use a brass or aluminum drift.

Back