Strange milling machine

I would put it in the combination category, as it looks like it can be used as a tracer, or a manual mill. Most tracers I have seen, could only be used as a tracer. If its cheaper then a Bridgeport, I would buy it. I would not pay extra for the tracer stuff, as you would not likely ever use it, but it might be able to be converted to power feed.

Yes a tracer or pantographic machine, the thing on the right of the head with all the hoses is a probe which follows the contours of a sample part and sends the info hydraulically to the table motors- a forerunner of cnc. I've seen those with more than one head
-Mark
It looks as though the x and y gearboxes have kickout levers so as to enable manual operation. You could replace the motors with electric ones and have full power feed + manual override. You might even be able to cnc it, depending on the backlash

Last edited:
Interesting looking vise. Shop made?

Also some serious heft to that puppy.

Interesting looking vise. Shop made?
No, that's what's referred to as a "CNC vise". Several can be mounted on a table closer together than standard vises and they can also be mounted on their side as a vertical vise. The aluminum soft-jaws are shop made.

Id be really careful moving that. Its going to be tippy. Taking the head off would need a crane in flipping it in the normal way to move the machine isnt going to work out the same.

can the head even be tipped or nodded?

Yup, the ad states
Bridgeport True Trace 3d Milling Machine
$2,700

though I'm pretty sure it's just 2d.

Back