Strange old lathe, any thoughts?

ideologist

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I picked up some old tools recently, including this unknown old lathe. Stubby legs, long bed, very smooth carriage action. It is HEAVY for the size, feels like 180 pounds without a scale.

The bed is 50" from end to end, 8.5" wide, and 11" off the ground.

The old oilers are a trip, with little glass view ports. It is belt driven, but I don't have a motor or chuck to help date it. The legs are decorative more than just raw function. I'm wondering if it is from an old steam shop.

I'm still figuring out which parts go where, I was not involved in the disassembly, but I cleaned it up to better identify everything. No markings of any kind that I can find.

If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. I have no clue what I would even use it for. The bed and legs are flawless, so I could attach an aluminum tabletop and use it as a workbench buddy if nothing else.

[Sorry for the garage floor shots, I had to spread out to figure out what was in the bucket full of hardware]

Have a great day!
Patrick

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

Cool!

hhhhhhmmmmm....the headstock shape reminds me of an old Barnes lathe:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/barnes/index.html
as does the apron.

but....the bed and tailstock don't look like one.

Can you post a couple more shots of the bed from the front?

I like the old site-glass, drip feed oilers. I went with those on my 1916 milling machine rather than an automatic oiler....I think it was the right choice.

-brino

That looks like a nice lathe. I hope you have all the parts. I don't know the brand or model. But I do have the same Clipper Belt Lacer!

This is a prompt for me to post some photos of my old Lodge & Shipley lathe which I'm still attempting to determine it's vintage. I came to the site looking for info on my Bridgeport DRO which lead me to take a few minutes and check out the link I bookmarked. It's really scary :alien: what can happen here. On March 8th SmashingPumkins was kind enough to download the Bridgeport DRO manual to the site. I understand most of the functions but the inside track on what it's capable of is really helpful.

Here are some more shots, it was previously enameled over heavily but no stamped names. There is a fairly decorative scallop design around the bottom of the bed, as pictured above the legs.

I found a clean set of Timken bearings in the box that are much newer than this lathe, but that was still a pleasant surprise

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

That little "spur" on the headstock casting pointing up and back where the pulleys should be is very distinctive.
I bet someone will recognize that feature.

-brino

EDIT: I am STILL browsing around over at www.lathes.co.uk on this one.

One other thing: normally the company name is stamped or cast into the bridge between the legs. If the legs are removable, you might check the inside, maybe they got re-assembled backwards at some point.

Last edited:
That little "spur" on the headstock casting pointing up and back where the pulleys should be is very distinctive.
I bet someone will recognize that feature.

-brino

Hopefully! I am fairly anal when it comes to knowing what I have, and it will bug me forever if I can't figure it out!

I also picked up a Unimat lathe and a FABULOUS drill press that I will post momentarily, was the best horse trading of my life.

No idea what make. But the legs and style look turn of the century to me - maybe 1890's or earlier. Looks like you have a real find!

I would be interested to know what the original color is/was. Somewhere in the distant past on this forum - I think this,
one - someone posted a very interesting and knowledgeable piece about early day lathe manufacturer color schemes. All I remember is prior to South Bend, hence 1910 and earlier, lathe manufacturers painted lathes all sorts of bright colors -reds, blues, greens, etc. once asphalutum came into widespread use with Henry Ford's automobile production techniques, the bright colors went away in favor of ...black. So if you find traces of the original underlying paint, you might be able to date the machine, and develop clues to its manufacturer.

Regards
Glenn

It appears to be a hunter green, I think I found a trace of it between the tailstock end of the bed, and the legs. I'll take some nice daylight pictures for review.

Pre-1900 would still commonly used steam in the shop, right? That was my guess at first. This thing is heavy. I need to find a use for it, even if I use it as a sanding lathe only. It's too cool to hide it away.

yep ,
a lot places had steam until the 1920's

you're 100% right, don't hide her!:D

Back