Strange old lathe, any thoughts?

So here is where my curiosity begins...

This is the rear of the apron, the left side (as pictured) shows the gears for driving. The bottom gear connects to the crank handle. The top gear rides under the track on the bed. The center stud (in the little worm gear) spins freely sometimes. Why does it do that?

On the right side, you see the little paddle and the half-nut. The paddle has a knob on the front, but nothing else seems to fit through the holes above and below the paddle. The half-nut has a LOT of play in there, see the example. At least a half inch. Would there be a spacer of some sort here, or just flopping around?

Getting much closer to the end, and clearly missing lots of parts. :(

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

I was able to finally get one of the threaded rod studs installed into the headstock. The paint got into the threads and nothing would go in. Cleaned that out, now one stud installed for sure. The other, with the hex shoulder sandwiched inside seems to fit in one of those little brackets off the rear side of the headstock.

The 42 gear I have fits onto the spindle stud with the keyway slot.

I wish I had all the gears or knowledge of what I am missing! Once I get this functional, I am going to break it down and remove all paint to see if any numbers and/or decals are hiding.

(Also pictured is my purpleheart square for hammering)

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

Back