Strange thread tipe caps

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys.

Here in SA, especially in the region where I live, we are experiencing the worst drought in decades. So we catch up as much rainwater as possible.
I got myself 2 Flo bins, don't know if you have these wherever you live, and want to connect them up together with one inlet and one joined outlet. These tanks has a closing valve and a cap. So in order to join the two I have to make holes in the caps to let the water flo between the bins. But I did not want to make holes in the caps,because my head tells me,what if you need these caps again someday for some reason, and the thing is you cant buy the caps because of the thread tipe. So I made 2 caps. Yes the 2 original caps will most probably lie in storage for years to come,but at least I know they are there i needed. And I just wanted to see if I can make it myself.
The thread is sort of weard, I narrowed it down to about 59×5 metric RH thread but with a twist. If someone knows what you call this tipe of thread,please feel free to inform me.
I shaped a piece of tool steel to ABOUT the shape I thought would work and was going to thread from the insde out away from the inside sholder and lucky me I got it right the first time.
20180616_160847.jpg
I made the caps out of GSM,a tipe of teflon,it was what I had on hand.
I did not take pics of the total proses but here I made grip grooves on the caps.
20180616_122107.jpg
The final products and here is where it had to fit.
20180616_130252.jpg
20180616_130200.jpg
20180616_152322.jpg
20180616_152229.jpg
20180616_143447.jpg
20180616_130526.jpg
20180616_130635.jpg
20180616_130348.jpg20180616_122107.jpg

Job completed with a great outcome. Well now I know it can be done and was good fun making it.
Thank for viewing and remember if someone knows what the thread is called,let me know for interest sake.

Michael

Looks a bit like the type used on drilling rigs for oil . I've seen it somewhere I know but not sure where. May be on my plastic small engine gas cap some of those are weird threaded. Might just be plastic special to help seal.

Those tanks look a lot like the ones at my local farm supply store, they sell bulk chlorine for swimming pools from them.
-brino

Looks like a buttress thread to me, they are designed to hold up to a lot of pressure in one direction
such as the weight off the liquid in the tote as those are called here in my neck of the woods......

Just for grins & giggles I did a web search on "1000 liter totes" and, amongst lots of hits, found this one. If you scroll down, you can see that they sell parts:
http://joslebel.com/en/catalog/ibcs...sity-polyethylene-new-1000-litre-275-gallons/
On another website, I found that they specify the standard valve thread for such totes (officially IBC, Intermediate Bulk Container) as being "DN50," with DN80 as an option:
http://www.vanhaelewijn.com/en/containers.html
I looked that up. DN stands for "Diametre Nominal." DN50 is supposedly the equivalent of 2", DN80 the equivalent of 3".
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/nps-nominal-pipe-sizes-d_45.html
You found a thread diameter of 59mm. I couldn't find that on the DN chart. The closest is DN65 (2 ½" equivalent).

In any case, congratulations on having solved the problem!

PS - When I worked on inkjet print head production at HP, we used to buy ink in such totes. 1000 liters = 10^3 liters. The print heads would deliver picoliter (10^-9 liter) size drops of ink, and EVERY printhead was tested for functionality on the line. So in just a few feet of space, we were dealing with volumes that differed by twelve orders of magnitude!

Back