Strokes per minute for a die filer?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am putting together a Die Filer. I'm going to put a variable speed drive on it.

What is the optimum range for strokes per minute that one should target?

Slow. Mine is about 4:1 on the belt from a 1740 rpm motor so roughly 400 spm and its way too fast.

Greg

Thanks Greg,
I was thinking of a range in the neighborhood of 60 to 240 SPM. Does that sound about right?

Probably. I'll check the exact ratio on the belts this aft, IF I can remember.

Greg

I have numerous times warned everybody that all die filers run TOO FAST! And,snap your finger tips!! The main problem is that their excessive speed just ruins files. Exactly the same way that running any machine too fast (lathe,mill,etc),will ruin cutters.

I,long ago,put a variable speed 1/2 HP motor on my Butterfly. Made all the difference in the world. I haven't TIMED how slow I can get it to go,but about 1 stroke per second OR LESS is an estimate. Even at lower speeds,the filer cuts plenty fast,and enables more accurate work to be done.

In the Penn State catalog,they sell a small 1/2 HP motor WITH controller for about $119.oo. Really made for their mini wood lathes,but should be fine. My 1/2 HP motor is plenty of power for my Butterfly. This is the cheapest variable speed motor with speed control I am aware of. You'll have to make a motor mount for the motor,but a wooden one with large hose clamps should be plenty strong. Or,make a nicer one of aluminum if so inclined.

Ok I have one , would an old sewing machine motor with foot control be strong enough? ;;;;;; I think with the kit and the cast iron flywheel ,, pulley. It should have enough momentum to operate properly .

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say anything over 1/4 Hp is plenty enough. We're filing, not sawing.

So Andy who sells MLA die filer castings recommends 1/4 hp. I think the issue is to get a variable speed motor with the turndown you need and still maintain adequate torque.

Back