Stuart Steam Engine

f350ca

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Acquired an old set of castings for a Stuart No4 steam engine.
IMG_4143.jpg

Started out by powder coating the raw castings. Applying the finish before machining leaves nice sharp edges after machining.
IMG_4154.jpg

Working with castings necessitates some odd fixturing. Made an expanding mandrel to hold this in the lathe, this gave me referance faces to work from.
IMG_4169.jpg

Once I had the top and bottom surfaces I could bore for the cross head.
IMG_4174.jpg

Then made a lap to bring the bore to size and finish desired.

IMG_4178.jpg

The main bearings in the base.
IMG_4183.jpg

The crank shaft casting was cast steel, a miserable alloy to work with. Tired every grind I could think of but none would give a good finish so left it over sized, used a file and emery paper to get close then made a lap to get the mains to size.
IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

Made a jig to hold the crank with the throw on center for machining it.
IMG_4190.jpg

Greg

I made the parts for the valve gear and reversing mechanism from a BIG bronze bushing I had. Think it started out at about 50 pounds.
IMG_4196.jpg
The quadrant for the reversing mechanism.
IMG_4200.jpg
IMG_4205.jpg

The handle for forward / reverse

IMG_4197.jpg
The connecting rod. This came from a casting.
IMG_4214.jpg

The piston is cast iron, with 660 bronze rings from some left over material I had to rebush a small backhoe.
IMG_4219.jpg
The sliding valve
IMG_4211.jpg

Didn't like the castings for the valve rods so made my own
IMG_4218.jpg

Somewhat assembled.

IMG_4221.jpg

Been making bolts and nuts to replace the machine screws I used to assemble it. Lots of 6-32 studs, regular nuts look too large so I've been using no 4 nuts and drilling them out and rethreading them, No 2 look about right for the 5-40 fasteners.
Posted these a while ago, drain cocks for the cylinder. 5/16 stock with 1/4 hex, threaded I think 10-32
IMG_4232.jpg

Been lax at taking photo's lately, will try tomorrow.
Thanks for looking
Greg

It must have felt pretty good when it spun up. Nice work.

Back