Stubborn internal bearing retainer

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a internal bearing retainer that I am trying to remove. Normally I can get a pry with a small screwdriver or awl. This one doesn’t seem to have the proper angle to get a pry.
What would the proper way be to remove this. It looks like this 1642300244496.jpegexcept both ends are beveled back.
Thanks
Cheers
Martin

Have you tried getting under the end with a small right-angle pick?

They can be particularly bothersome. A large sewing needle may be able to pry it away enough to get a larger tool in.

In some applications, there is a small hole on the outside of the part in which a pin punch can be used to drive the end of the ring in so a screwdriver can get under it. The ring needs to be installed such that the pin hole is near one end of the ring for this to work.

Thanks fellows. It was getting late and I was getting frustrated with it. I will try your suggestions this morning. I will get it this morning I'm sure.
Thanks
Martin

Man I hate them things. Never understood why they used those except to give somebody a headache down the road. Have a set of these dental style since I first found them in the 70’s. Used them on this style ring and for O rings and many other things. $5 at HF, priceless IMHO.

1642342853569.jpeg

I was able to get it easily by grinding a piece of drill rod to a chisel point. Once I got under it, I pried sideways and it came out no problem.
I tried the little hook and dental pick things but they were not strong enough to get a good pry.
Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• 9F5E1891-2E12-4E53-890F-506771F8A2BE.jpeg
    9F5E1891-2E12-4E53-890F-506771F8A2BE.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 9
When the smaller picks would not work for me, I've sacrificed an old screwdriver to the job. Bend the tip to suit, and grind it to fit the groove as needed. Works for me..

Back