Stubby Drill Bit Set?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I have couple of those drill bit stubbys,I am seeing the importance of having a set of them.What I am looking at is 1/16-1/2 set by Norseman 29pc Stubby Screw Machine Length M7 Drill Bit Set 1/16-1/2 USA SPT-29 Its price at 94.00 which for me is a chunk but I am willing if membership feels the same way as I do.I know this is not top of the line set but for me its the middle of the road set.

I have a set of Norseman stubbies and a set of $45 imports. The Norseman are FAR superior. I needed to drill out some impact sockets (add ball holes at each 90). The import bits were sharp but weren't drilling. Chucked up a Norseman and blew right through. I've replaced some of the imports with Drill hog bits. They're better but still not a Norseman.

Bruce

Figure out which ones you actually need, don't need a whole set. Buy an index to store with the money saved. I buy Dormer.

I've been using a set of Viking stub drills that goes from 1/16 to 1/4 by 64ths. Costs under thirty bucks - the "to 1/4" sets are usually pretty resonable compared to the "to 1/2" sets, and contain the drills that I use the most. To supplement (or replace) the drills in the set, I buy stub drills singly from Travers. Usually the Vikings, I found them to be pretty reliable.

What I've found with drills is that you're going to be getting a variety of types (high helix, straight-flute, etc) so unless you plan on gettiing a full index of each type ($$$$$), just choose about four or five tap sizes you'll be using (e.g. #6, #10, 1/4, 3/8) and get the drills for those. One of those $50 115-piece sets from across the Pacific can be used as a fallback for emergencies, and every time you break one of the cheap drills (second use, quite often) replace it with a decent one.

I’ve been happy with my Cleveland 29 piece HSS 135-degree split point set that I’ve had for almost 6 years. I’ve used them on mill and lathe for aluminum and carbon steel, sometimes with a spotting drill, but often without.

I’m not familiar with Norseman, so can’t make a comparison.

Tom

I'm also looking to round out my stub drill selection, mostly tap drill sizes. Other than tapping, it's nice to have a few for starting holes without having to center-drill.

Still looking for a decent price on one of these.
1577459788189.png

Penn tool has them, price is ok, but the shipping is out of line. Wishing I hadn't left mine behind when I sold the business.

Guys I have couple of those drill bit stubbys,I am seeing the importance of having a set of them.What I am looking at is 1/16-1/2 set by Norseman 29pc Stubby Screw Machine Length M7 Drill Bit Set 1/16-1/2 USA SPT-29 Its price at 94.00 which for me is a chunk but I am willing if membership feels the same way as I do.I know this is not top of the line set but for me its the middle of the road set.
These are what I have. Top of the line drill. Noresman make great drills, Viking are the same. No complaints. I can't remember what I paid for mine, was several years ago.

For screw length I have drill hog for my hand drill, Chicago Latrobe, and Norseman for the mill, and lathe.

Back