Stuck Chuck on Arbor

hydronaut

Registered
Registered
Hi, new her and the process or restoring an old Canadian drill press that has seem some pretty heavy use.

Any advice on how to get the chuck off. The collar is normally used to push it off. No luck when it was on the press either. Used a couple of wedges but just end up pushing up the collar on the shaft.

Was thinking about drilling and punching out. If I can push the collar up more will give me enough room to support the chuck.

Thanks,

Andrew

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 157
  • drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 166
It looks like there is a through hole in the chuck and the arbor is showing through the hole.
If so then you could take a coupling nut (the largest that will fit in the chuck) and put three equal grooves in three sides leaving a shoulder at one end. Insert the coupling with the shoulders deep in the chuck and tighten the chuck jaws into the grooves on the coupling. The grooves should allow the jaws to close into the grooves but clear the shoulder. Then screw a fully threaded bolt all the way through the coupling nut until it contacts the arbor. Apply torque to the bolt to preload the 'puller'. The coupling will slip up a bit until the shoulders butt against the heels of the jaws. Heat the chuck with a hot air gun. Some alternate tapping on the bolt and tightening should get it off eventually.
The coupling nut in the picture has corners rounded for it to fit in a second smaller chuck.
IMG_0628.JPG
.IMG_0631.JPG

Welcome to the group!

Do you know for certain that it is a taper and not threaded on?
If you can remove the collar it might provide a better view.

Though, likely drill and punch is the answer; and everything is still usable after.

Good luck, please let us know how it works out.
-brino

Welcome to the group!

Do you know for certain that it is a taper and not threaded on?
If you can remove the collar it might provide a better view.

Though, likely drill and punch is the answer; and everything is still usable after.

Good luck, please let us know how it works out.
-brino

100%. I pushed the threaded portion over an inch away from the chuck and have clear view and place to support the chuck. I also checked parts diagram. This piece is only used to aid in removing the chuck.

It did drill out, the small hole was most likely from manufacture or the guy before the guy before me. There is a good 1/8 after the drill bit popped through. However some water and rust came out so thinking this might be a permanent fixture. I gave a punch a few good hits and nothing, just mushroomed the end. There is always a hydraulic press but my bigger concern is might do no harm then good. Spayed some liquid wrench inside and will let it sit for a few days. Its been on there 60+years what is another 60.

The guy I got it from was milling on it so no idea how bad the runout is because the bearings were shot. Just in the process of replacing them.

Thanks again.

it looks to me to be a smaller threaded end on the shaft, and the threaded collar just tightens up against the chuck to hold it from spinning off---put the shaft in a vise-open the chuck all the way and put a drill chuck handle in one of the holes and rapping chuck handle with a quick hammer smack. in the direction the opposite of the collar threads----worth a try
Dave

Tried something similar. I like the coupler with the bolt idea. Will see if I can find one long enough it stick out a bit to get a wrench around (don't want to damage the shaft) and use a hardened bolt with an impact gun.

Back