Stuck Knee On Jhead!!

Neiko

Registered
Registered
Good afternoon form Kansas City Ks!
I got a Jhead Bridgeport with a broken Gib and a knee stuck, all way down and wedged tighter then a Tick on a hound dog!! I removed the table ,saddle and the head. I have up some major upward pressure on the Gib and knee with no success at all. i layed it on the backside and also removed the jack screw and stand. So there is nothing holding the knee but the Gib wedged in place. Any thoughts on how to remove the gib at this point? Im getting to the point of drilling a hole or tourching a hole under the Gib so I can get a bar to it and smack it with a 3lb hammer and progress up to a 10lb hammer if need be! Any help would be great!

wow thats a tough one, how much clearance do you have underneath the knee, or is it right against the base of the column? Is it rusted up or just jammed?

If it is just jammed, the gentle way of doing it might be to put an engine hoist on the knee with a good amount of force, but not enough to lift the whole column (or maybe a mm or so if it is on a pallet still) and then gently warm and cool it with a torch a few times. which sounds like what you've done.

your hammer idea is probably the least dicey thing I can think of, later you'll have to tap and pop a bolt in that hole to keep oil in, you could also try drilling and tapping the gib itself.

How's the Z axis screw? you unbolted that and aren't fighting that too right? whatever you do make sure you keep the hoist on the Z because once it comes lose it's going to move.

That sucker is down. bout 4 inches from the foot and the gib is sticking 2 inches below the knee. I removed the knee jack screw and its post already. So the only thing that is holding the knee is the gib....wedged in. I will be back working on it Monday and ill take pics of the mess!
I put a spud bar on a block levering upward against the Gib with all 240lbs of me on it.. then put the pallet that has the table,saddle and head stored on the spud bar and that was not enough to get it to move. So Monday will be interesting to say the least

If my memory is correct? The wedge is such that pushing up on the knee will just make things tighter. The knee needs to go down OR just the wedge needs to go up. Can you put a threaded hole in the end of the wedge and attach a slide hammer to it?
I don't belive that I can get a drill and tap down to the gib to put threads in it... it did cross my mind. and maybe a option im going to look into monday

That sucker is down. bout 4 inches from the foot and the gib is sticking 2 inches below the knee. I removed the knee jack screw and its post already. So the only thing that is holding the knee is the gib....wedged in. I will be back working on it Monday and ill take pics of the mess!
I put a spud bar on a block levering upward against the Gib with all 240lbs of me on it.. then put the pallet that has the table,saddle and head stored on the spud bar and that was not enough to get it to move. So Monday will be interesting to say the least

Try beating on the bar with a big hammer. The impact is better than steady force.

I don't really know if this would help but maybe a hydraulic jack pushing up would do it???

If you have the part that broke off so you can meausure the depth of the gib I can measure mine and give you exactly where to drill that hole since my knee will be off until next weekend

Is there a way to plug the gib hole with a grease fitting? if you can get it in the hole you can pressure rise oil to try to loosen the way pressure . Just thinking outside the box? worth a try pressured kroil or even try carb carb cleaner to loosen any hardened lube which may not be the right kind ?

Back