Stuck Lathe Carrage Cross Feed.

Marv,
About the oil, are there oiling features on the cross slide like ball oilers and galleries?
If it is designed to be oiled regularly then an ISO 32 oil might be called for.
Using a thinnish oil applied often might be an advantage in the beginning to help wash out get any remaining filth.
When I want something with a bit more sticky that extends the oiling interval I use 15w40 diezel oil.
Just my .02s worth. Mike

Marv,
About the oil, are there oiling features on the cross slide like ball oilers and galleries?
Mike

On the Crossfeed table there is a manual plunger pump with a silver cap (Middle Right in 1st photo). Remove the cap (which has about a 2.5" plunger on it, add oil, and as you replace the cap plunger, it pushes the oil into the oil channels (See Bottom Photo).

Thanks for the tips on the oil.

Marv.

_DSC0702.jpg Screw-0833.jpg

Upon cleaning it up the ways were very badly scored from lack of lub. Our shop is in the middle of switching to all CNC machines and in a meeting yesterday the decision was made... this unit is going for scrap $$ ASAP. It's in Bremerton WA. if anyone wants it... just offer more than scrap.

Such a shame... it still runs great. Sad to see it go.

I hope there's someone out there to save it. To good a machine to just scrap it, besides you almost got to to where you can fix it . Your only three or four thousand miles from me send over I'll take it . how much tooling do you have for it? I'd like a knurling tool from it if you do scrap her,hope ya don't have too. Any auto tappers for her or die heads.Part it out and make some money off it.

I hope there's someone out there to save it. To good a machine to just scrap it, besides you almost got to to where you can fix it . Your only three or four thousand miles from me send over I'll take it . how much tooling do you have for it? I'd like a knurling tool from it if you do scrap her,hope ya don't have too. Any auto tappers for her or die heads.Part it out and make some money off it.

Yes... it has an Auto Crossfeed. Would part that out and anything else the owner does not want... he will keep all tooling he can use on the CNC machines & is keeping the Square Turret.

Yes... it is a shame but he wants to get rid of it ASAP (next 2 weeks) and has a scraper ready to roll... I'm holding him up while I canibilize some parts. I suggested Craigs list... but he wants it out... NOW...!!!

Marv.
marvin.nauman at gmail dot com.

You might as well take all the dials and hand wheels , shift levers too. Believe me they come in handy ,I wish I could get my hands on them . Lots of things there to reuse or repurpose .

so what is scrap value on it? Might be worth having a truck swing around your way!

In the 12 hour it got rescued by a guy a few miles away. He got the bar stock feeder, theader, taper, 30 collets, everything... all free, just so the Owner could see it went to a good home. Both were were very happy.

Marv
Thats very good news. I would hate to see something like that going into the junk bin. I've rescued many small tools from such a fate, and fixed them up, possibly half of my little shop is populated with them.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Back