Stuck Lathe Carrage Cross Feed.

I too can see the top gib sticking out - at the rear of the slide, a tapered parallelogram-section piece of (usually) cast iron - there should be a screw or screws to move it in and out of the slide, it's tapered so it can only be removed one way and the screws can lock up the slide if it's adjusted too tight.
They can also break and jam in the slide, if that happens the only way out is to remove the screw and the "fat" end if it's loose, and tap the slide to unjam it (towards the thin end of the gib), you may even need to take out whatever's obstructing access to the thin end and use a very long, very thin drift to punch it towards the wider end of the space... Once the gib's out, you may be able to lift the slide off as normally the bottom of the male dovetail (on the slide) is marginally narrower than the top of the female (in the carriage).
Good luck ;)

Circled the end of the gib...

And oops - female dovetail's in the slide, male's on the carriage!

A few better shots of the rear of the cross-slide area after cleaning it up so you can at least see the metal would really help...

shows the gib.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I too can see the top gib sticking out - at the rear of the slide, a tapered parallelogram-section piece of (usually) cast iron - there should be a screw or screws to move it in and out of the slide, it's tapered so it can only be removed one way and the screws can lock up the slide if it's adjusted too tight.
They can also break and jam in the slide, if that happens the only way out is to remove the screw and the "fat" end if it's loose, and tap the slide to unjam it (towards the thin end of the gib), you may even need to take out whatever's obstructing access to the thin end and use a very long, very thin drift to punch it towards the wider end of the space... Once the gib's out, you may be able to lift the slide off as normally the bottom of the male dovetail (on the slide) is marginally narrower than the top of the female (in the carriage).
Good luck ;)

Great... I see that now... Many thanks.
Which end is the "Thin" end?
I'm looking at the parts Diagram & I see a Screw back there & I see a round smudge in the photo... possibily because it has crud in it that I will check out when I'm back at the shop (getting behind the machine will be interesting to say the least).

Thanks again for pointing that out and your advise.

I can see the gib sticking out of the back of the cross slide in the pic. In the front of the cross slide there should be a screw on the right hand side that fits into a slot in the gib. You need to remove this screw then the gib should come out the back. Then the screw attaching the cross slide nut, and the front bearing support screws, then the cross slide should just slide off towards the back.

Thanks... Now this is starting to make sense after British Steel's reply.

Maybe we are miss communicating here.

As an interested observer, that's how it appears to me.
I'm still not 100% sure if it's the cross-slide that's stuck.

Marv (and everyone), please understand no offense is intended either from jumping into the discussion or for pointing out some basic parts.

Anyhow, maybe this picture is worth 1k words:

DSC0707_b.jpg

I have outlined in red the back end of the cross-slide dovetail ways.
I have outlined in yellow the back end of the cross-slide gib.

I believe the gib is captive from the front, under the front of the cross slide at an adjustment bolt.
(under the front edge of the cross-slide and behind the hand wheel)
Once loose, I think the entire gib should slide out the back of the machine.

Have you seen page 25 of the "3760" document linked above? It shows:
upload_2015-10-18_20-22-20.png

It looks like the bottom of the gib is in a recess lower than the flat of the dovetail. I suspect that channel is totally clogged with cuttings and solidified goo. Aim some of that "magic fluid" in there.

-brino

As an interested observer, that's how it appears to me.
I'm still not 100% sure if it's the cross-slide that's stuck.

Marv (and everyone), please understand no offense is intended either from jumping into the discussion or for pointing out some basic parts.

Anyhow, maybe this picture is worth 1k words:

View attachment 112680

I have outlined in red the back end of the cross-slide dovetail ways.
I have outlined in yellow the back end of the cross-slide gib.

I believe the gib is captive from the front, under the front of the cross slide at an adjustment bolt.
(under the front edge of the cross-slide and behind the hand wheel)
Once loose, I think the entire gib should slide out the back of the machine.

Have you seen page 25 of the "3760" document linked above? It shows:
View attachment 112689

It looks like the bottom of the gib is in a recess lower than the flat of the dovetail. I suspect that channel is totally clogged with cuttings and solidified goo. Aim some of that "magic fluid" in there.

-brino

Yes I have seen page 25 & thanks for jumping in. This all makes sense to me now. Your right... the photo is worth 1K words.

So what's your thoughts on your comment "your not sure it's the cross slide that's stuck"? What else could cause this?

Circled the end of the gib...

And oops - female dovetail's in the slide, male's on the carriage!

A few better shots of the rear of the cross-slide area after cleaning it up so you can at least see the metal would really help...

What do you mean clean it up... You should see what it looked like BEFORE I cleaned it up...!!! Sorry... couldn't resist.

I think that one problem might be that the ''Plates'' have nothing to do with that lathe. Not even close as far I as I can tell. The other 3760.pdf is pretty close. What I don't see in the drawings is where the gib adjusting screw is. But it has to be in contact with the gib somewhere.

I think that one problem might be that the ''Plates'' have nothing to do with that lathe. Not even close as far I as I can tell. The other 3760.pdf is pretty close. What I don't see in the drawings is where the gib adjusting screw is. But it has to be in contact with the gib somewhere.

I may have to take it apart to figure that out.

I was just looking at the pictures of the back of the cross slide, think you need to ck the bed ways ,,,, to the left square and rounded over. On the right side looks gouged out and sharp on top edge. Might have to pull felts and covers , from looking it just don't look right. Hope it's ok

Back