Stuck Lathe Chuck

I raise cattle for a living. Nobody around here cold-brands because we have no easy access to dry ice/liquid CO2.

I hadn't thought about the fact they ship semen with it though. I'll call my veterinarian tomorrow. Thanks for thinking outside the box! That's one of the things I love about this forum; you can bang your head against a problem for days and somebody with a fresh perspective can come up with a completely different solution to the same problem.

i would not go too cold.......the steel will become brittle ,and may shatter like glass at very low temps...............if the chuck is bolted ,remove it from the threaded plate,and apply heat to the outer margin of the threaded plate,at the same time as the dry ice in the spindle.......................I personally prefer chucks bolted to a flange,and all my big lathes have that.........makes using cheap secondhand chucks easy........I recently bought an unused 20" Pratt steel body 4 jaw,and a Pratt 12" steel 3 jaw for cheap..........dunno what the list price on that lot would be.

I once had to remove the spindle with the chuck still attached, put the spindle in a vise and stood on a 10' bar to finally free it.

Just make sure there are no set-screws holding it in place (my small 9x20 lathe with a screw-on chuck also has two set screws to keep it from coming loose during normal operation). Also, are the threads left-handed by chance? I've ruined a few things in the past before realizing the thread I was struggling with was left handed :oops2:

I've checked for set-screws and can't find any. I would assume the threads are right-handed or else the chuck would screw itself off the spindle under a heavy cut.

Back