Stuck Quill Locks on Atlas QC54 Tail Stock

Hello,
>>Do you have a hydraulic press?<<
Thank you very much. I often travel to Doylestown PA where my brother lives.
I am thinking about going to a meet up of hobby machinists in Allentown PA on the 18th of August, and then down to my brothers. So I will be making a sweep down through PA in a few weekends.
May I message you my information?

You can. I am planning on going to the machinist group meeting on the 18th, so I can pick up the tailstock at the meeting if you need me to work on it.

Is the bottom of the hole open or like Superburban said it is closed?

If it is that the Zmack has swelled, be careful with a press.
Hello,
I don't know because I am new, but that is really what it looks like to me--that those quill locks look swollen in the hole and onto each other.
I didn't know that was possible.
The person had gotten this as a first lathe a long time ago and then a machine shop grew up around it. He kept it to do one off stuff and some gun smithing. I don't think he actually used the tail stock in a very long time.
If they are "swollen" is there any solution but to drill them out?

You can. I am planning on going to the machinist group meeting on the 18th, so I can pick up the tailstock at the meeting if you need me to work on it.

Is the bottom of the hole open or like Superburban said it is closed?

The bottom is open for the bolt to come out, but I don't know if it is open enough for the lock to come out. I would think it is not, because the bolt has to catch somewhere--although it may be just the bottom of the lock. It is tough to see up in there because of the casting.

The bottom is open for the bolt to come out, but I don't know if it is open enough for the lock to come out. I would think it is not, because the bolt has to catch somewhere--although it may be just the bottom of the lock. It is tough to see up in there because of the casting.

If the screw can be drilled out, I think this would relieve the pressure on the lock so that the parts of the lock would then be loose enough to remove.

I did it in my early days. I turned the whole piece down to the right diameter. Cut it in half, and cleaned up the ends. Drilled holes in both pieces (Can use the tail stock with out the lock). Tapped the bottom piece. Then added the curved portion by using a sanding drum on the drill press, but could easily chuck the sanding drum in the lathe. Carefully sanded them to match the contour of the quill.

Easy beginners project.
Cool. Good to know. I have made only one piece so far, that was on my 618. Just an adaptor to use a One-way three point on my Shopsmith. I watched a bunch of videos and read etc. Not exactly the best job, so I guess I am chicken! But I needed to do that as there was no three point steady available for the Shopsmith. Right after I did that the QC54 came up with just a ton of stuff at a great price, so I got it. I may have to sell off the 618, but it is in such beautiful shape. I am just not sure if I need two metal lathes, but I think if I sell it I will regret it.

35221960_1748084785240411_1385887187941195776_n.jpg

35223381_1748088178573405_3690754024102952960_n.jpg

If the screw can be drilled out, I think this would relieve the pressure on the lock so that the parts of the lock would then be loose enough to remove.

I got the bolt off and unscrewed the top, but the lock pieces don't move at all--they are just sort of frozen in place.

I got the bolt off and unscrewed the top, but the lock pieces don't move at all--they are just sort of frozen in place.

We can drill out most of the metal so that the remaining metal will either be free, or can be removed with some care.

I have had good luck with Kroil in removing rusted hardware in woodwork bench planes. Perhaps the pieces are rusted in place.

I forgot, I used the milling attachment to make the square hole for the bolt head, on the bottom piece. Could easily be done with a dremmel, or such.

Even though the 618's do not get used much any more, I could not sell them. I guess its a tool hoarder thing.

I forgot, I used the milling attachment to make the square hole for the bolt head, on the bottom piece. Could easily be done with a dremmel, or such.

Even though the 618's do not get used much any more, I could not sell them. I guess its a tool hoarder thing.

I have a milling attachment for the 618 and one the guy modified for the 54. He welded a full milling vice onto it, so it is pretty cool in terms of what it can hold. So I could try to learn that too.

Back