Stuck Quill Locks on Atlas QC54 Tail Stock

Worst you can do, is need to start over with new round stock.

Well, ok ,maybe you could break an endmill or something. But the fun ov trying is worth it. ;)

The only tailstocks that I have here to look at are both off of the late 12" and the vertical hole containing the two ram lock cylinders is definitely a blind hole. Which says nothing about whether yours on the 10" is or not. The late 12" tailstock is for an unknown reason virtually a front-to-back mirror image of the earlier 12" and 10" in that the pocket for allowing access to the tailstock clamp bolt is on the rear instead of on the front.

I assume that you have already downloaded the latest version of the 10F illustrated parts list which explains well enough how the thing goes together other than whether the hole for the lock goes all of the way through.

Anyway, as you have already been able with the tailstock ram handwheel to run the ram out until it ran off of the ram feed screw, I would follow the suggestion given earlier of using the 3-jaw spindle chuck to hold onto the ram. Wind a strip of newsprint cut from a newspaper around the ram before clamping. Place a piece of 1/4" plywood across the ways and then a short length of 4x4 fence post to push against. I would actually use a scissors jack or a Porta-Power splitter as I have both. But if you don't have either of those options, use the largest hammer you have to bang against the 4x4 and finish extracting the ram. An alternative would be to screw a length of all-thread into the threaded hole in the rear end of the ram. Rig up some method to pull on that.

Once you have the ram out, screw a coupling nut onto the ram lock bolt and an extension stud or length of All-thread into the nut. Bore a hole slightly larger in diameter than the lock cylinders through the center of of one side of the 4x4. Using whatever method is available to you, cut one side of the 4x4 so that it will sit level on top of the tailstock with the stud sticking through the hole. Drill a hole that's a slip fit for the stud through a piece of steel or aluminum plate to cover the hole. Finally, use a flat washer and nut on the stud to withdraw the two lock cylinders from the tailstock.

Once you have the ram out, screw a coupling nut onto the ram lock bolt and an extension stud or length of All-thread into the nut. Bore a hole slightly larger in diameter than the lock cylinders through the center of of one side of the 4x4. Using whatever method is available to you, cut one side of the 4x4 so that it will sit level on top of the tailstock with the stud sticking through the hole. Drill a hole that's a slip fit for the stud through a piece of steel or aluminum plate to cover the hole. Finally, use a flat washer and nut on the stud to withdraw the two lock cylinders from the tailstock.

I have been traveling and the tail stock has been soaking in home made break free solution as suggested earlier.
Thank you so much for a long reply. I can actually follow it in my head too!
I think this may be the route I end up taking.

Back