Stuck Torx on an insert?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a stuck Torx on the insert of my threading tool. I have it soaking in some Kroil at the moment. I tried hammering it from the top with a bit and then trying to back it out but no luck.

Any advice on how to break it free?

torx.jpg

Grind the head of it off and if it doesn't loosen enough to get it off with your fingers, turn it with needle nosed vise grips

Probably going to have to take a carbide end mill and plunge in to remove the head, the get the insert out of the way. Then go in from the other side with a cobalt drill bit and try to drill down to push out the rest of the screw. I have that same holder for my QCTP, nice setup Dorian did on it. I butchered up mine a little bit, wound up drilling out the threads with a carbide drill and securing the insert on with a close fitting flat head screw. I'd have to go look at it to remember the specs on it.

BTW: I try to put a dab of neverseize on the insert screws on my tool holders to make it easier to remove the screws, especially when they have been torqued down too tight.

Do you have a Manual impact driver? These work pretty well so long as you have it set to loosen and put holder in a secure vise.
I have a snap on that works very well. Used it on many stuck fasteners on F-16 aircraft. Don't over strike and keep counter clockwise rotation pressure on the tool when striking. Over striking will break the bit every time.
https://store.snapon.com/IMPACT-DRIVERS-AND-SETS-C795597.aspx
Good luck Alan

You should be able to find a less expensive driver brand as the snappy's are pricy. Something around 30 bucks should work fine. Also buy some extra drive bits.

you might try heating the whole assembly up in an oven to 150*f and see if the screw will back out.
you could also break the insert with a chisel and hammer and extract the screw after
I took a heat gun to it early this morning. I thought about putting it in the oven at 300F and letting it heat soak but didn't.

I could put it in the lathe and wreck the insert like I've done before!

I've used small chisels / center punches on the head tapping it ccw once you get an indent in it .

Do you have a Manual impact driver? These work pretty well so long as you have it set to loosen and put holder in a secure vise.
I have a snap on that works very well. Used it on many stuck fasteners on F-16 aircraft. Don't overstrike and keep counter clockwise rotation pressure on the tool when striking. Over striking will break the bit every time.
https://store.snapon.com/IMPACT-DRIVERS-AND-SETS-C795597.aspx
Good luck Alan

Great idea Paco. Yes, I have one that I have owned since my BSA motorcycle days (early 70's)! That motorcycle was like a helicopter - 8 hours of maintenance and repair for 1 to 2 hours of ride time. I gladly sold the motorcycle but kept the impact driver.

I wrecked my T10 socket this morning. But I jury rigged this up and it worked. I think the Kroil and the impact broke it free.

impact.jpg

Method One:
I would slowly heat up the holder a couple hundred degrees with a torch, and hope it expands more than the screw. Try it periodically with a good fitting torx t-handle. Not the little torx finger wrench you should have used when you tightened it in the first place. Don't strip it out. Then you may have to resort to method two.

Method Two:
If the insert is toast you may be able to break the insert up around the screw, and if the problem is just that it was over torqued that may loosen it up enough to remove it. It will need to mounted in something solid to allow you to break the insert in some organized form of chaos.

Method Three (a):
If method one has failed and you do not want to break insert because it still has a good point... You can try mounting the tool in a bench vise and removing the screw with an impact driver. I'll leave fitting up the currect size torque to an impact driver to your ingenuity.

Method Three (b):
If the screw has been stripped or your inegenuity has failed to allow you to complete Method 3 (a) you can uise a rotary hand piece and a disc to cut a slot in the screw. Then use your impact driver.

Method Four:
After you have used up $80 worth of your time, go to Ebay, Shars, or _____________ and buy a $50 insert holder to replace it.

Seriously, if you have to get a job done with it today any of these methods "might" work.

Back