Subdividing Machine Accessesories Tab

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Subdividing the Machine Accessories Tab into precise topics could become a wonderful way to get new posts where they belong when looking for what you want to know or wondering where to place what you want to show.
At first blush: 2 Categories are 1. Lathe & 2. Mill. There are also so many other distinct tools that don't really share accessories.

I posted a B&S Dividing Head rebuild in "A Beginner's Forum". It was fun, everyone got along & it did not belong there. True, I don't get what does belong there beyond, "I bought x & need help".

So, I'll ask here, Where would you guys post the restoration of a wooden box for a B&S Dividing Head Gear Set?

Outline of Proposal:
2. Subdividing Machine Accessories Tab
.....x. Mills
..........y. Dividing Heads
...............z. Brown & Sharpe
....................!. Gear Set
.........................@. Box

Now, with this reconfigure / addition to the "Subdividing Machine Accessories Tab" I don't have to wander through any other item on any other topic. It's really a 2 way street. How can what I want to share on my box do anything but slow down a person needing info on grinding stones or Aloris parts??????

Food for thought.

The "Search" facility is what you use for finding very specific subjects, subdividing everything makes browsing a real PITA and reduces your chances of happening across something interesting or useful which you didn't know that you wanted to know ;-)

I agree with magicniner. IMHO, we already have more than enough forums and subforums to navigate. I find it much easier to browse a list of posts under a main heading rather than individually clicking on a multitude of narrowly focused subforums that all have the same basic theme, such as Accessories. ymmv

Tom

I also feel the forum has too many sub-forums. I never navigate. I try to search if I want to find something. I have to admit the site software can be frustrating. I wanted to find a thread I read on opinions of DRO's. I entered the search text "DRO opinion". The site software came back "DRO" not included in the search since too short or too common. I have no idea why the software designers chose to prevent users being able to control the search criteria.

I also feel the forum has too many sub-forums. I never navigate. I try to search if I want to find something. I have to admit the site software can be frustrating. I wanted to find a thread I read on opinions of DRO's. I entered the search text "DRO opinion". The site software came back "DRO" not included in the search since too short or too common. I have no idea why the software designers chose to prevent users being able to control the search criteria.

That's frustrating, but done to lower the amount of work the server has to do when searching. It's particularly irritating on technical forums as there are a lot of acronyms in use that you can't search for on the forum. There is a way though, using Google. Put this in the search box on google.

dro opinion site:hobby-machinist.com

That will limit google's results to just this site. It's very helpful when the site search isn't quite getting what you want.

Back