• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Substitute for Gits Oiler

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cathead

Active User
Missing several Gits oilers, I fabricated several out of some rifle shells, 30-06 and 44 mag I think it was.
The 30-06 shell was cut off at a 45 degree angle and carefully silver soldered back together to form
a right angled oiler. The cover for the oiler is a 44 Magnum shell swaged out a bit for a good fit. Maybe
not quite as nice as the Gits but functional and with no expense. I suppose some would say it is a
red neck type repair but I kinda like it. :)

TerryWerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
The age old saying that "necessity is the mother of invention" holds true yet once again!

Bob Korves

How does the oil get past the primers?

cathead

Active User
What did you use for the wick inside to slow down the oil?
My Gits oilers didn't have anything to slow down the oil flow but in the past I have cut some round pieces of felt and lined the
tube pushing the felt in a ways so there is room for the felt on top. Packing the felt in there slows down the flow of course so
it can be a trial and error thing.

cathead

Active User
Here's a little useful information on making some ammunition style oilers. Go to a shooting range and
collect up a bunch of various spent cartridges. (I save brass as occasionally I will need to melt down
for a project). If you have an inventory of various diameters, you can usually find a necked down diameter
that fits your oiler hole. I generally cut off the unwanted portion of the shell in the lathe using a 5c collet.
Hack saws generally are too coarse to cut nicely and make a rough edge on the parts.
Sometimes a little machining is needed to fit on an appropriately sized cover or stretch out a shell a little
for a nice fit. It keeps the chips out of your machines and looks really nice if you keep the brass polished up.
The bottom of a brass shell is a lot thicker so one can machine the cover to fit inside the bottom part by
machining off enough material till it fits inside as shown in the photo.

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]