Substitute for Gits Oiler

What did you use for the wick inside to slow down the oil?

My Gits oilers didn't have anything to slow down the oil flow but in the past I have cut some round pieces of felt and lined the
tube pushing the felt in a ways so there is room for the felt on top. Packing the felt in there slows down the flow of course so
it can be a trial and error thing.

Here's a little useful information on making some ammunition style oilers. Go to a shooting range and
collect up a bunch of various spent cartridges. (I save brass as occasionally I will need to melt down
for a project). If you have an inventory of various diameters, you can usually find a necked down diameter
that fits your oiler hole. I generally cut off the unwanted portion of the shell in the lathe using a 5c collet.
Hack saws generally are too coarse to cut nicely and make a rough edge on the parts.
Sometimes a little machining is needed to fit on an appropriately sized cover or stretch out a shell a little
for a nice fit. It keeps the chips out of your machines and looks really nice if you keep the brass polished up.
The bottom of a brass shell is a lot thicker so one can machine the cover to fit inside the bottom part by
machining off enough material till it fits inside as shown in the photo.View media item 96319
View media item 96320

Last edited:
Back