Success And Setbacks On The Cm 12x37

I assume that you have a metric gear. The pictures look like a garden variety spur gear and not a worm gear. Life is simpler for a spur gear. The diameter shown of 28.5mm and a tooth count of 17 works out to be a module 1.5 gear. Now all you have to do is find someone that will sell you a mod-1.5, 17T brass gear with hub and a bore less than or equal to 14mm. You could cut your own with the right cutter (available on Ebay) and a mill and rotary table. Even a mini mill could do it. Maybe someone would be willing to cut one for you... or, some of the members have commercial shops and they might be more amenable to a one-off for a fellow member than a big custom shop.

I didn't notice the slight skew. It makes sense seeing as how it mates with a screw. The teeth do look like involute form, so they could be cut with a spur gear cutter. The skew can be had by angling the indexer for a horizontal mill, or tilting the nose with on a vertical. My basic point was that you are probably a machinist so that you can make odd parts that can't be bought.

There is a 12X36 group on yahoo that might also have a source.

I didn't notice the slight skew. It makes sense seeing as how it mates with a screw. The teeth do look like involute form, so they could be cut with a spur gear cutter. The skew can be had by angling the indexer for a horizontal mill, or tilting the nose with on a vertical. My basic point was that you are probably a machinist so that you can make odd parts that can't be bought.

There is a 12X36 group on yahoo that might also have a source.
Well I wouldn't call myself a machinist, I'm a mechanic by trade, master tinkerer lol, I've done plenty on my sb 9" so I'm comfortable around the lathe, I currently don't have a mill but will as soon as I come across one I'm happy with so everything will have to be done on the lathe for now, I have used brazing to repair gears in the past and profiled them by hand and that's doable I'm sure, but if I can match up the tpi with something on the thread chart of this new lathe I may can cobble up a homemade hob and try my hand a making one from scratch, just an idea.

Back