Sudden stop

Ya--I want to melt some aluminum to--I want to cast some plates to use for a CNC router build--but for now Ive got to fix the Lathe--and then the Band saw that broke 2 days after the lathe, then get back on the mini Front loader build---and ya--im retired to--and hurting every day--but goyta keep moving--Thanks for all your help---and if you ever need any plumbing or electrical questions answered--just ask me---im a 40 year plumber and a 25 year electrician, and I be glad to help out---with something I know about---fixin lathes--Nope---Greg
Your very welcome Greg, always something to do, it seems I had more time before retirement, I think I'm trying to make up for lost time..
The old bones and joints take a beating over the years,,,I use to just have an ache and pain then it would go away, not anymore,
Then fell head first 20ft onto my cement floor about 10 years ago, that did me in good,,, at least I'm still kickin..
We'll Make It, and I'll keep you in mind..and if you need some info on metal casting I'll try to help ya out.
Tim

@zerotact and @horty
Greg and Tim,

I am so glad you guys are here.
You both have such varied experiences and projects and you are both so willing to help someone else!
That's exactly the attitude that keeps me coming back here.
I try to give as much as I can, but always feel I take away more than I give.

Thanks!
-brino

Greg,

I believe you should be able to test that safety switch.
If your machine is like @royesses posted above, then that safety switch is activated by lowering the clear safety shield around the chuck.

You could either:
1) re-connect everything to the board and then test raising and lowering the safety shield, or

2) unplug the lathe and put an ohm-meter across that switch. Raising/lowering the saftey shield _should_ change the switch from open to short.

Good Luck!

cool, I will have some--probably many questions about metal melting and casting--when and if can only get the time

cool, I will have some--probably many questions about metal melting and casting--when and if can only get the time
Anytime your ready...
Disregard any mess ups here, cat just ran across key board and really did it....

Last edited:
Well--yes---I do have the 2 wires on the bottom of the speed control ---but those are--#-3-and-5--and how do you reset them--or are they supposed to reset when you turn the knob off and on

Yes when you turn the speed knob to the off position it resets the safety lockout for the next cut.

Roy

Back