Sudden stop

I can vouch for the reliability of the KB controllers, they use an older SCR technology rather than mosfet- hard to kill 'em
Mark

I set up my 7x10 with a treadmill motor thru a speed reducing jackshaft controlled with a KB unit. Incredible low speed torque and Tons of power at high speed too. Pushing these tiny lathes will eat the hi low gears, I keep several replacements on hand. Little Machine Shop usually has everything in stock.

yes Im thinking of going to the treadmill motor setup--I have 2 of them right here, im just wondering what the cause of this is--trying to repair it as is just to know the cause and effect --so I know how to deal with these problems

I can vouch for the reliability of the KB controllers, they use an older SCR technology rather than mosfet- hard to kill 'em
Mark
then what do you think happened--remember this was not the problem in the first place--it was a whining noise that I went to investigate--only then did the machine stop working--Thanks for any help

ok--thats a good idea about leaving one plastic gear to be the weak link--but im trying to find out why the lathe stopped--remember-this was not the original problem--it was just the whining noise--but the lathe was running fine--it was only after I stopped and reversed the drive direction that the lathe stopped working--how is that possible-?---what does switching the drive direction have to do with the loss of power to the motor

You were pushing it too hard and smoked the controller would be my guess. Turn the chuck by hand and shift the lathe from hi to low, you should be able to feel if the gears are damaged.

You were pushing it too hard and smoked the controller would be my guess. Turn the chuck by hand and shift the lathe from hi to low, you should be able to feel if the gears are damaged.
OK--But the lathe was running --and then I shut it off to investigate the noise--it was only after I switched the drive to reverse, then went to restart that the machine would not start--how can switching the drive direction cause a loss of power--they are two different functions--one mechanical--and one electrical-?

Power surge to restart the motor is higher than running amps. The final straw? Use the controller from a free craigslist treadmill, your 90 vdc motor is not very picky.

Used KB controllers on ebay are far superior to the oem units. Just buy the appropriate resistor.

is this controller the same as the MC-60 Tread mill controller-?--Thanks
yes--not only did I do that but I took the back panel off and visually inspected the gears--not a nick on any gear in there--and they sound fine turning--it seams the sound is coming from the the lead screw--just found that out a few minutes ago--but still makes me wonder how it was working--when I turned it off--then only after I switched the drive direction--and went to restart the lathe--did it not work--thats what is baffling me

Back