Suggestions for replacement controller

KSHAFER

Registered
Registered
I want to replace a c. 90 year-old [?] Allan-Bradley Type 1 (bulletin 709) non-reversing controller, which is being used to operate a 95 year-old (rebuilt) 3-phase 5HP Westinghouse induction motor. Looking for the lowest-cost replacement: either new or certified rebuilt. Any recommendations? Would a Square D, model 8536SCO3V03 Motor Starter work? (I see one online for $241.) I’ll wire it to the Start-Stop station like the current Allan-Bradley (L1 to Stop etc.; no transformer ). DSC01606 (2).JPGErben organ St Patrick blower DSC01439.JPGDSC01606 (2).JPG
Picture1234 (2).pngErben organ St Patrick blower DSC01439.JPG

That Square D starter will work fine, but note that it comes with a 240V coil. Is your control circuit 240V ? Also, you'll have to purchase the heaters sized for your motor.

Ted

Contactors are expendable units and you can replace it with a new one from probably any manufacturer.

What you need to know is the motor FLA and the control voltage for the coil. A new Allen Bradley contactor, sized for the 11.4 FLA with 240VAC control voltage would be bulletin 100C contactors, catalog number 100-C16A10. This is rated for 16A to give you a bit of overhead.

You can also get a motor protective overload to snap on underneath which would protect the motor from overheating. This part number would be 193-1EEDB.

I'll add that your original schematic does show a motor overload, so installing one would be appropriate.

Last edited:
Back