suitable steam engine for a tricycle.

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I would like to build a steam engine to drive a recumbent tricycle but cannot make up my mind of what design to follow.
I'm leaning towards a twin cylinder double acting slide valve fired by propane and a flash boiler.
Anyone have any idea how large this engine should be to be able to drive this trike?
If I can get something that will drive the trike with possibly a bit of pedal assistance I will eventually turn it into a steampunk design for a bit of fun.

I would say you need about 1 hp it doesn't have to be self starting since you will be peddling to get going. That will make it much easier to build.
You can start with a compressor and make the changes to it for a steam engine. I have drawings around that show how to make a steam engine from auto air conditioner compressors piston type. I purchased a compressor only from harbor freight and started to change it over to a steam engine. This makes it much faster, you just have make a new head and valve and bolt it to the cylinder and your good to go.

A good idea and I had thought of that route or similar but have decided against it as I want it to look semi victorian or thereabouts.
We all know style wins over comfort:biggrin:

That would be a too cool project. A steam punk recumbent steam powered trike might be easier to engineer though, that will give some ability to help with ballance. Surely dont want it to fall over with a full head os steam, could be life threatening if the boiler burst or becam damaged... Either way you go, I have got to see the pics of it in progress and when you have it built and running. I love the steam punk stuff you see here in the US from time to time.
Bob

That would be a too cool project. A steam punk recumbent steam powered trike might be easier to engineer though, that will give some ability to help with ballance. Surely dont want it to fall over with a full head os steam, could be life threatening if the boiler burst or becam damaged... Either way you go, I have got to see the pics of it in progress and when you have it built and running. I love the steam punk stuff you see here in the US from time to time.
Bob

Thats one of the reasons I want to go with a flash boiler, if it bursts there is only a tiny release of steam and if thats enclosed by a shroud then the risk is negligable.

jjtjr,
Although I have no experience with a steam plant regarding its power output I wonder if the 1HP is just a generic answer, the reason I question this is that electric bicycles are restricted to 200 watts in Australia but still zoom around at speeds of 20+ kph. So maybe a smaller output enging would be ok. (I may be confused about HP versus Watts)

Here is a photo of my 1899 mason auto steam engine this would be too large for your project but it gives you an idea of what it has to look like. This will going up on e-bay soon.IMG_0006a.jpg

IMG_0006a.jpg

If you take a look at the specs. Of the locomobile when it was built they say that the HP was 3 1/2. That car weight about 800 lbs. My locomobile has a mason engine in it and weights 1200 lbs and at 250 psi boiler pressure it about 8 HP,And will do 40 mph, but 25 feels better. It all depends on what speed you want and the weight of vehicle. I just complete an electric 3 wheel vehicle for a guy called the Bug-e its on the web. Its says it will do 40 mph its a 3 wheel bicycle, kinda of light in weight after test driving it, I think 10 to 15 mph is the correct speed it has bicycle brake which are good at low speeds.

Here is a photo of my 1899 mason auto steam engine this would be too large for your project but it gives you an idea of what it has to look like.

Very nice, I'm assuming the sprocket is between the con rods but where do they leave/enter the cylinders?
Thats similar in layout to the Doble engine isnt it?
I'm thinking of using a flywheel in the system with a freewheel on the rear axle and clutch.
The steam delivery via a flash boiler should allow (hopefully) steam on demand controlled via propane delivery.
One question I cant find an answer to is does the water pump have a non return valve in the line to prevent steam being pushed back?
I have to assume yes and I would automatically insert one but I cannot find a mention of that.

If you look on both sides of the crank the rods go to the pistons which may be hard to see. Not sure why you need a clutch. The wheels act as a flywheel. The nice about steam engines is you don't need a transmission or clutch when you stop so does the engine. The water pump has a check valve on both sides of it and another at the boiler. you also need a bypass valve so when the boiler is full of water you can shut it off. On a flash boiler it is a very critical balance between input water and output steam. If too much water in them you get water out and not steam, if too little water then you run the risk of burning a tube in the boiler.

If you look on both sides of the crank the rods go to the pistons which may be hard to see. Not sure why you need a clutch. The wheels act as a flywheel. The nice about steam engines is you don't need a transmission or clutch when you stop so does the engine. The water pump has a check valve on both sides of it and another at the boiler. you also need a bypass valve so when the boiler is full of water you can shut it off. On a flash boiler it is a very critical balance between input water and output steam. If too much water in them you get water out and not steam, if too little water then you run the risk of burning a tube in the boiler.

Doh! Now I've stopped kicking my butt I cant believe I forgot about not requiring a clutch.
Interlinking the steam demand and water pressure will be an interesting exercise, I dont really want to go the micro controller route if I can help it.
I also have no idea when I will be able to get started on this project as the giant bino's have to take precedence but we all need projects lined up in case the time becomes available dont we.:rofl:

Back