Summit Lathe with Leaky Headstock

Dave1979

Registered
Registered
Hi There,

I have just picked up a Summit 19-4 lathe that has seen better days. So far, we are scratching our head on repairing a leak in the headstock (we may just want to remove it completely to get a closer look) and replacing or repairing the oil pump in the headstock. I would be happy hearing from anyone that could point me in the right direction.

Thank You,

Dave
IMG_6008.JPGIMG_6007.JPGIMG_6005.JPG

Love that tailstock. Would think you can seal the headstock without removing casting from bed. Adds a lot more work removing.

Do you have a manual for it? I have a similar lathe just a little smaller (17-3) that came with
a manual. Let me know if you need anything from it.

Attachments

• Summit 17-3 Spindle.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Could you put some dye in the oil to track where its coming from?
I have a 16x80 Summit, been a good machine, the apron on it leaked from new, assumed it was leaking somewhere on the back side. One day the plastic sight glass broke, make a metal housing with a glass window and o-ring seal. The leak stopped. Apparently I never saw the clean oil oozing from it.

Greg

Do you have a manual for it? I have a similar lathe just a little smaller (17-3) that came with
a manual. Let me know if you need anything from it.

A manual would be great if you would have one available. Let me know the easiest way you would be able to send it.

Thank You,

Dave

Could you put some dye in the oil to track where its coming from?
I have a 16x80 Summit, been a good machine, the apron on it leaked from new, assumed it was leaking somewhere on the back side. One day the plastic sight glass broke, make a metal housing with a glass window and o-ring seal. The leak stopped. Apparently I never saw the clean oil oozing from it.

Greg

I was looking at the machine a bit closer today and I did see the sight glass. I am still wondering if anyone here has taken the headstock off of the base of one of these.

Here you go! I need a steady rest for the Summit lathe if anyone can help me find one it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Summit 17-3 Lathe Manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 10
Probably like my old British cars, when it stops leaking check the oil;)

Cheers,

John

Probably like my old British cars, when it stops leaking check the oil;)
Indeed. As you go to the shop for a rag to check the oil, just grab the jug of oil on the way thru

I love my 1990's Chinese lathe. I love my 1970's Ford trucks. I do not worry about oil leaks. I just pour oil, and drive the dang things.

Indeed. As you go to the shop for a rag to check the oil, just grab the jug of oil on the way thru

I love my 1990's Chinese lathe. I love my 1970's Ford trucks. I do not worry about oil leaks. I just pour oil, and drive the dang things.

A little trickle wouldn't be so bad, bad this one seems to be a bit more than that. It would require probably a fill a week and floor dry every morning.

Back