Summit Mill Help

hhscr

Registered
Registered
This is a mill I have and the only information I have for it is that it was made in England and has the Summit name on it and it is Variable Speed.
Serial Number is 11077.
I called Summit Machine and they told me they have never had a machine made in England and when I tried to ask a few more questions they hung up on me.

Any information that anyone has will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.IMG_0294.JPGIMG_0295.JPGIMG_0296.JPG

There was a lot of industrial equipment made in England in the 60's through the early 80's for American company's. I had a 1980 International backhoe bought new that was made in England, same with a Ford, all Lucas electrical components. It looks like most of Summits stuff is now made in Taiwan or China. Mike

Clean it up, get it running and enjoy it. If you can't find a manual, just use common sense.

I worked in a shop that used several Summit machines. All were purchased new from Summit Machine in Oklahoma City. Did you call OKC?
Our machines came from Spain (I think), Taiwan and the Czech Republic. We bought these in the the mid 70's and the last one in about 2007. I don't remember seeing anything in their inventory (Summit's) that looked like what you have. Is the Summit logo cast into the machine body somewhere or is it on a riveted on tag?
We had four lathes, 2 of 20" x 80" with 4" hollow spindle, a 24" x 120" with 4" hollow spindle, a 11 x 24 (no longer in production), a 10 x 54 universal mill, a 3' radial arm drill and a large horizontal bandsaw all of which are still in service.

I did call the Summit Machine in OK. They are the ones that hung up on me. I am thinking that the people I talked to on the phone were not even born when this machine was made. There are no casting marks, the Summit name is on riveted tags in several places.

The quill feed direction change mechanism is not working. It does power feed out, so it is really not a big issue. I would not likely use the power feed in option, very often any way.

hhscr,
I would call back and ask to talk to parts. Just give them the type of machine (leave out the English part) and the serial number to see what happens.
The quill power up/down feed selector is pretty simple on most mills....might just take it apart and see if it's something simple......maybe a sheared key or twisted shaft.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back