[4]

Summit model 19-4 19x60" resurrecting

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Zyox Jägergeist

Registered
Hello! Pretty new to the forum but id figure I should share one of the machines I am currently putting some life back into.

As the title says, its and older summit. bought from the machine shop I work at and had been used hard for about 20 years, until it was in need of a few repairs.. and with their growing number of cnc lathes, aswell as having two manual lathes this one just got set in a corner and never fixed

2018 they put up a new building, moved and cleared out all of there manual/broken machines (mwahahaha bought em all!)

I bought this lathe knowing it was abused, didn't really know the extent.

So now that the backstory is told onto the work in progress, here is a list to sum it up

-Wore out forward clutch
-all new bearing needed in the carriage aswell as a worm set for the X power feed (the carriage sat for many years with no oil,... just water from coolant. gears where seized and bearings where locking it up even worse)
-new bearing for the tailstock handle

And a few pics of the lathe, and what the carriage looked like when we first got it off.

Attachments

Zyox Jägergeist

Registered
I had some spare time at work with the mill I run.... so I figured id make some tool holders since I didn't have any!!
Started off with a block of qt-100 on the bandsaw, then moved to milling it square... followed by more milling and more milling... then a bit of tapping and testing!

I still need to turn the thing for the height adjustment I just have a gold grade 8 bolt in there for now... but the body is done, made it to fit a 1.5" insert holder :)

Attachments

Ryanjax

Registered
I know my lathe sat for long time and someone got their hands in it but the more I see yours the more I think mine barely had any use. Clearly this was after cleaning but I didn't have to do much. This is from the inside of my apron gearbox.

Zyox Jägergeist

Registered
I know my lathe sat for long time and someone got their hands in it but the more I see yours the more I think mine barely had any use. Clearly this was after cleaning but I didn't have to do much. This is from the inside of my apron gearbox.
Your lathe is pretty much brand new, paint isn't even wore off of the rpm wheel yet :)
My lathe probably has 10000-20000 hours on it. (we have lathes clocked at 56000hours in our shop) 90% of the bearings in my apron where toast, same with the bronze worm set but i have everything stripped apart and the new bearings come in! 297875
there was literally nothing left of the needle bearings, just the needles! and the middle of the ball bearing was nearly ready to fall out! xD

Speaking of it,... does the manual have a part number for that bronze gear?

Zyox Jägergeist

Registered
Got some more time to clean the carriage up, wash, sand and paint it. the casting is pretty rough so I didn't get any crazy ocd with the paint lol looks a ton better then it did!!

lathe2.jpg

lathe1.jpg

lathe3.jpg

pics where mostly before I took all the tape of and sanded some surfaces whoops... waiting on a few more seals and bearings now. need to order a book and buy a new gear or two!

[5] [7]