[4]

Super 55

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ThunderDog

Active Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 12, 2014
Messages
245
Likes
362
#1
Just thought I would share my near complete restoration of my Super 55. I might get bashed for posting this because someone may say I'm double posting from a different sub-forum, but the Wells Index forum is kind of small.
Super excited to make some chips with this machine. I scraped it(link here), had Wells Index grind the spindle to an R8, purchased a VFD, and removed a massive pile of nasty dried up grease and crud. I'm in the market for a DRO, currently. One of the first projects will be to make the bracket for the power feed that is attached to the right side of the table. It was broken into several pieces when I bought it. The gear on the sliding shaft of the power feed is also wollered out and the key is stripped on the keyway, too. Anyway, just sharing what I'm up to in my garage.
Some pics of the progress more can be seen in the above link.

IMG_20180407_144814_852.jpg
IMG_20180523_140332_835.jpg
IMG_20180523_140332_837.jpg
IMG_20180706_213452_289.jpg
IMG_20180720_111303_364.jpg
20180731_221235.jpg
20180731_221326.jpg
 
Last edited:

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
1,799
Likes
1,721
#2
Looks great. How many hours do you have in the scrapping? Mike
 

ThunderDog

Active Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 12, 2014
Messages
245
Likes
362
#3
Haha, you know I've wondered that several times along the way. If I were to guess I would say about 50-60 hours, maybe more.:grin big: That is factoring in my learning curve when it comes to understanding alignment, moving things around in the garage, knocking together some wood cribs/cradles/etc. for the saddle, table, gibs, and knee.
 
Last edited:

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Joined
Apr 30, 2015
Messages
2,825
Likes
1,467
#4
Wow you really went to town with that guy. Looks like new- even Wells would be impressed I think
m
 

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
2,057
Likes
132
#5
Beautiful job. :encourage: Uh hem.... If you ever get bored you'd be welcome to come out and fix up my WI 860. :grin: I'm almost embarrassed to look at mine now.

-Ron
 

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Joined
Jan 2, 2016
Messages
491
Likes
376
#6
I been watching your efforts. You should be proud.
 

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
Joined
Jul 19, 2013
Messages
387
Likes
165
#7
These are pretty cool old machines. Here's mine.

 

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
293
Likes
333
#8
Nice job!
 

ThunderDog

Active Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 12, 2014
Messages
245
Likes
362
#9
These are pretty cool old machines. Here's mine.

Nice, how are you running yours? VFD, rotary phase, or just lucky enough to have 3 phase? I ask because I swapped the table feed motor for a 110V because I didn't want to buy another vfd just for it. Of course, with the 110V I only have one feed direction.
 

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
Joined
Jul 19, 2013
Messages
387
Likes
165
#10
Mine came with a static phase converter. But I have a rotary phase converter and VFD in the works.
 

ThunderDog

Active Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 12, 2014
Messages
245
Likes
362
#11
Upgraded the vfd with some remote switches and added a braking resistor. I really want to have the flexibility of power tapping. The resistor has now given me the ability to slow the little beast down significantly faster.
20180810_115659.jpg 20180807_143429.jpg
 

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
1,108
Likes
613
#12
Nice mill, when I saw "Super 55" this came to mind. (Web photo, I did own an Oliver 660 about 10 years ago)



OliverSuper55.jpg
 

ThunderDog

Active Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 12, 2014
Messages
245
Likes
362
#13
Ok, the first project: Rebuilding the table power feed bracket.
The bracket was broken into several fragments and beyond repair.
20180812_154131.jpg

Another real issue was my extremely limited selection of material to reconstruct the thing. I had some 1/2" steel but it had some holes drilled in it for who knows what. I also had a chunk of 3/4 × 2-1/2" × 12". So, I did some head scratching and fit the three main pieces into what I had.
Piece 1 with holes drilled to match the table :
20180804_151957.jpg
I ended up having to mill some clearance for the lead screw. I then set to task boring the holes spaced apart according to the fragment of the original. The original design has two 10-32 screws to trap the lower bearing in a pocket.
20180812_114831.jpg
Piece 3 attached to piece 1: Note the clearance add to piece 1. Unfortunately those two holes in the square plate were from the original stock material I had. They serve no purpose.
20180812_114643.jpg
Here are all 3 attached to the mill.
Everything turns free with no binding. Next up will be to fix the stripped keyway and wollered out lower gear. I'm tempted to cut the square at the corner to look nicer, but I'll leave it for now.
20180812_153729.jpg
 
[6]
[5] [7]
Top