Super Max 2 Hp 3ph Mill Vfd

dlane

Active User
Registered
I am in the process of getting a supermax mill and would like to know what would be the best vfd to power it.
First off , anyone know if supermax used motors That can be wired for 220v ?. Forgot to look
If not I'll need a vfd , any suggestions on a decent vfd for this mill, I would like to mount it to the mill
I need to get one that gives the best bang for the buck with good support, preferably not chi.
It would be nice to get one simple to install as my electrical skills are limited.
What should I look for, don't want the cheapest, just one that is dependable ,easy to install, dose what ever I need it to do , good customer support.
Thanks for any and all suggestions
Derrick

If your Supermax is a Bridgeport clone, it is highly likely it is a Two HP 3 Phase motor for 220v. Any brand name (non Chinese) VFD should do what you need.

Did they ever make them so they would run on eather 3 or 2 ph 240v by rewireing motor
It is a Bridgeport clone
Any preferred brand name vfd s for this setup ?.
Thanks

Did they ever make them so they would run on eather 3 or 2 ph 240v by rewireing motor
It is a Bridgeport clone
Any preferred brand name vfd s for this setup ?.
Thanks

The motors are 3 phase or single phase, not possible to wire for both in the same motor.

A few VFD brands: Teco, Hitachi, Automation Direct GS2, Yaskawa, ABB. There are a bunch of others, but these are the most common non-Chinese brands.

Thanks Jim , that's what I was looking for
Derrick

There are various configuration/models of the Supermax, and you would need to check the motor name plates to see the specifications. Also beware that table power and coolant power if equipped may be a different voltage and phase, and they would not be run off the VFD. When looking at VFDs, you need to give consideration as to what switches you are going to use (momentary vs. sustained), for For/Rev and E-Stop. Most individuals build a new panel/box for the mill controls, and mount the VFD on the back of the mill or a nearby wall. Some VFDs do not have the ability to latch the run/direction "On" when using momentary switches. I ran into this with the Teco JNEV VFDs, and had to build a latching relay unit so momentary switches could be used. I believe the Automation Direct GS2, Hitachi, and most of the higher end VFD allow this function. I use/like the Hitachi WJ200, but the manual is a bit of a challenge/learning curve to use the VFD. Automation Direct and Yaskawa have more readable manuals. You do not need a fancy VFD for a mill, but I would go with a sensorless vector type of VFD, as this will provider a wider operation range (RPM) .

SuperMax Mill YCM-16 Electrical Circuit Diagram

SuperMax Mill YCM-16 Electrical Circuit Diagram.jpg

Thanks for the help/replies, the shop it's going in is a dust nightmare as its my brothers shop and he makes high end writing pens and his dust collector is useless, trying to get him to move it outside and plumb intake thru wall . Anyhow from what I've Ben reading on vfds is they don't like dust is nema a dust proof enclosure for vfd ?.
Derrick

You could put the VFD in a NEMA 4 or 12 enclosure that is at least twice the height and width of the VFD just for air flow clearance. Unless you are running continuously for 8 hours a day, it will not over heat. Or you could just not worry about the dust too much, I have one out in the shop that was running a 12 HP router spindle and it was plugged solid with sawdust, nobody ever blew it out. It was running fine when I pulled it out of service. I need to clean the VFD on my mill also, the cooling fins are plugged with cutting oil and aluminum chips.

... And don't forget the Diesel based coolant you use too! :) Jim, You are on the lucky side if you ask me.

You could put the VFD in a NEMA 4 or 12 enclosure that is at least twice the height and width of the VFD just for air flow clearance. Unless you are running continuously for 8 hours a day, it will not over heat. Or you could just not worry about the dust too much, I have one out in the shop that was running a 12 HP router spindle and it was plugged solid with sawdust, nobody ever blew it out. It was running fine when I pulled it out of service. I need to clean the VFD on my mill also, the cooling fins are plugged with cutting oil and aluminum chips.

Hi all , the vfd came in I'll prob spend today getting power to it. The instructions are pretty intimidating, I'm planing on using vfd controls for now , I'll install external control if nesasery down the road .
Did I mention (me and chi electronics don't get along ) wish me luck
It is a teco 7300 cv ,220 1ph in 220 3ph out
Pretty sure hooking up power won't be the problem , all the parameters will be.:eek:
Derrick

Back