Super Max Mill Repair

It has a nearly sheared off solid pin in there now. Its an odd size just over 3/16. I'll likely use the base of a drill bit here. I've sheared this off before.

I'm guessing that the mystery spring pin that was jammed in the spline came from there.

I'm guessing that the mystery spring pin that was jammed in the spline came from there.

it would have had to jump six inches straight up the spindle bore then fall on the outside of the spline. I guess its possible that the pieces fell in there when the draw bar was being lifted out for repair. In that case, it happened over ten years ago before I owned the mill. I've always used a solid shear pin.

In any case, you can bet your a$$ I'll make sure nothing else drops in there again.

If you know someone with a surface grinder the snap ring could be ground to fit? As for the old pin getting in of course where else could it go. Hope the next twenty years of the mills life gets better.

I had taken the head off just sliding onto a die cart and had an awful time. This mill has a three inch cylinder that just slides in the ram's bore. it fits oil tight and the reservoir for the head is in the top of the ram. I had not seen this before. I knew this wouldn't work for re install so i built a bracket today.

"The Kid" (my 31 year old son) stops by Fri night to help me install. I'll have it ready to slide onto the mill table. then we can use the X Y Z cranks to locate the head and slide it in place.

bracket.jpg head on hoist.jpg head on cart.jpg

Pretty cool fixture, maybe you should patent it :). That should make life easier. That head is a bit different than I have seen before.

Got the head mounted. Hope i don't have to do THAT again.

Still waiting for a quill return spring but thought I'd go ahead and put the down feed assembly back together to make the mill usable.

I can't get it back together correctly! Pulling what's left of my hair out. I can't even get the cross rod with the bevel gear and quill handle in enough to seat the snap ring. Then the mill could be used without the power down feed.

I'll let it sit a day and maybe the light will come on. I doubt it exists but if somebody know of a detail assembly procedure here, I'd love to see it.

Back