• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• I apologize to anyone who is disappointed with their experience on The Hobby-Machinist.

Anyone who made a donation within the last year who would like a refund, please PM me and I will refund your money.

Again, my apologies.

Nelson

[4]

Super rare mike

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Very interesting - I never knew such a thing existed, but I guess when you think about, why not?

Good luck on the bidding.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
They are out there and when they appear at auction if the collectors find them it is not uncommon for them to hit 2 - 4 thousand dollars.

"Billy G"

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I've heard of them but never seen one. That's a beautiful piece of work.

Best of luck on the auction,

-Ron

D

Deleted member 473

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Wonder if I could put some 1/2" "stick on" numbers for easy reading.

Don't worry, I have no intentions of bidding on it!

If you win bid on it, please share pictures with us.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Under 1 hour and it's holding fast. This one scares me cause it's almost sniping time. They won't get it cheap. :lmao:

"Billy G"

Analias

Active User
Registered
Did you get it Bill? I see the auction ended and at only ~$78 USD.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I have waited for 25 years to say this. I own a Braille Micrometer. I have wanted one of these for my collection ever since I saw my first one at auction. That one fetched a whopping 5,300 dollars.

"Billy G" :winner:

Harvey Melvin Richards

Active User
Registered
I have waited for 25 years to say this. I own a Braille Micrometer. I have wanted one of these for my collection ever since I saw my first one at auction. That one fetched a whopping 5,300 dollars.

"Billy G" :winner:
Congratulation on the win and on dealing with your obsessions.

Analias

Active User
Registered
Woot! Congrats Bill on your win. Well worth bragging over.

I'll let someone else give you the customary salute for such a find. I never feel comfortable saying that to anyone.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you Harvey and Analias. Over the years no less than 9 of these mikes have eluded my grasp. They were always high enough to be out of reach. I had almost givin up hope till I saw this one. Now it's in the history books. The hunt is over. When it arrives I will post plenty of pictures.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:

stupoty

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Glad it went to somone who apriciates it, i saw that earlyer today and had an urge to bid but had to hold back as i thought it would end up in a draw (or being used in the workshop when i couldnt find another one) might have saved on new glasses ;-)

seriosly though good a colector got somthing they like rather than the pro re-seller that hoover up all the bargins , :jester:

stuart

road

Active User
Registered
that thing is Soo cool . nice collectors piece !

I wonder if it comes with any kind of manual ... lol !
Congrats.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
Woo hoo!!! I'm expecting to see plenty of detailed pics of that when it's finally in your hands.

Congrats!

-Ron

Ben

Active User
Registered
Please post pics. That thing is pretty damn cool!

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Congrats, Cant think of a better home for a wonderful tool.

Brian.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It seems strange this morning that a 25 year quest is over. While searching for this mike it has taken me to many places and made many new friends. It's kind of empty now, guess I'll have to start a new quest. Any ideas?

"Billy G"

fastback

Active User
Registered
I am another one that did not know they made anything like that. Makes you wonder what type of work they were used for. I would also guess a person needed a very sensitive feel.

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I would like to add my congratulations as well Bill. But, what has me REALLY intrigued is the type of person that would have used it. I would have never imagined a blind machinist. Do you suppose he had special mods to his machines as well? Fascinating.

Last edited:

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
Might have been an inspector during wartime, not a machinist. Could be that they weren't totally blind, and this is just an aid to poor vision.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Pratt used then in their inspection dept. years ago. It was set by a sighted person and then used by the blind inspector. It didn't work out well, so the program was dropped. This is second hand info so I cannot verify its merit. It sounds reasonable. Wartime sounds right as these mikes were manufactured between 1944-54.

"Billy G"

toag

Active User
Registered
that is so cool!
we need pics when it gets in

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
They have 8 available, so no shortage there. Price seems plenty reasonable. I suppose the choice of an alloy was a weight saving measure. Going to get one of those too, Bill?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
No, they are not originals. Originals are all Stainless Steel. Researching the mike over the years I have seen no mention of an alloy thimble at any time. This is why I said I would be a little skeptical of them. I have turned this type down before. At no time do I say they are not the real deal, I have just never heard of it being done. I asked the seller to give me the serial numbers, lets see what he has to say. I have all the serial numbers in a log book.

"Billy G"

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
Yeah, have to wonder how someone has 8 of them at one time.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I will find out if they are the real deal after he gives me those numbers. Serial numbers run like this AXXX/XX the first three are the number the second two are the year made. The second two can only be 44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53 or 54. That's the only years they were made.

"Billy G"

[6]
[5] [7]