Super rare mike

I am another one that did not know they made anything like that. Makes you wonder what type of work they were used for. I would also guess a person needed a very sensitive feel.

I would like to add my congratulations as well Bill. But, what has me REALLY intrigued is the type of person that would have used it. I would have never imagined a blind machinist. Do you suppose he had special mods to his machines as well? Fascinating.

Last edited:
Might have been an inspector during wartime, not a machinist. Could be that they weren't totally blind, and this is just an aid to poor vision.

Pratt used then in their inspection dept. years ago. It was set by a sighted person and then used by the blind inspector. It didn't work out well, so the program was dropped. This is second hand info so I cannot verify its merit. It sounds reasonable. Wartime sounds right as these mikes were manufactured between 1944-54.

"Billy G"

They have 8 available, so no shortage there. Price seems plenty reasonable. I suppose the choice of an alloy was a weight saving measure. Going to get one of those too, Bill?

No, they are not originals. Originals are all Stainless Steel. Researching the mike over the years I have seen no mention of an alloy thimble at any time. This is why I said I would be a little skeptical of them. I have turned this type down before. At no time do I say they are not the real deal, I have just never heard of it being done. I asked the seller to give me the serial numbers, lets see what he has to say. I have all the serial numbers in a log book.

"Billy G"

Yeah, have to wonder how someone has 8 of them at one time.

I will find out if they are the real deal after he gives me those numbers. Serial numbers run like this AXXX/XX the first three are the number the second two are the year made. The second two can only be 44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53 or 54. That's the only years they were made.

"Billy G"

Back