Super Simple Power Draw Bar for PM-728V-T

Tio Loco

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Seems like a lot of the butterfly impact wrench installations are way over thought or over engineered or whatever. Came up with a very simple design.

Leaving it engaged doesn't seem like a huge issue, ad the wrench spins freely, but if desired, just bringing the quill down about 25mm will disengage it.

I may upgrade it with some sort of handle actuator as it still can be a reach, but it sure beats the two wrench-three handed-still might drop your cutter or face mill or drill chuck onto the table method.

IMG_20200925_193301.jpg

IMG_20200925_193241.jpg

That is slick. I find it doesn't take much force on the drawbar to clamp the collet. I wonder if a stepper motor would work?
Robert

That is slick. I find it doesn't take much force on the drawbar to clamp the collet. I wonder if a stepper motor would work?
Robert

Interesting idea... not sure if it would move fast enough, that instant burst of speed and impact when using an impact wrench, you don't even need the spindle wrench...

And you post this right after I finish my drawbar hammer!
R

Robert

I'm using a higher torque NEMA 34 for my powerlift, but I don't think it has enough to properly tighten the drawbar. The impact is doing 60-90 ft. lb. the stepper is about 80 in. lb.

Seems like a lot of the butterfly impact wrench installations are way over thought or over engineered or whatever. Came up with a very simple design.

Leaving it engaged doesn't seem like a huge issue, ad the wrench spins freely, but if desired, just bringing the quill down about 25mm will disengage it.

I may upgrade it with some sort of handle actuator as it still can be a reach, but it sure beats the two wrench-three handed-still might drop your cutter or face mill or drill chuck onto the table method.

View attachment 338272

View attachment 338277
Agreed on the idea of over engineered, this answered my question. Thank you.

Follow Up to my original question:

I did the fixed impact wrench and it worked very well with the following exceptions.
1. When using the mill in a drill press fashion, the drawbar would not engage the socket cleanly and make noise.
2. Noisy, not from the impact wrench spinning, but from the drawbar being non-concentric and wobbling in the socket. It made an obnoxious clicking sound.

I opted for a more tradition style albeit a bit more compact that the one's I have seen. There is very little torsional force on the actual impact so rather than go the route of attaching to the head I just mounted it to the motor and spindle cover. I have been using it for a couple of days and it is working great.

Attachments

• 20210106_121125.jpg
    20210106_121125.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 20210106_121132.jpg
    20210106_121132.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 338
Back